Discussion: Introduction to the importance of names
Some conversation starters can be found in the videos here. For younger children, there are some resources here.
Exploration of the importance of names and how names are connected to identity
Allows for discussion of intercultural differences
Discussion: How to respect names
- What lack of respect looks like
- What respect looks like
- Share information about etiquette around introductions/greeting
- What is feels like to have name mispronounced – sharing of experiences/empathy building
- How to be a change agent around names – for example, pledge to respect names and model good practice.
Empathy and community building
Intercultural awareness building
Empowerment of others to be change agents
Discussion: How names are (mis)-pronounced
One suggestion given by a teacher:
Students write their names phonetically, along with the way some teachers/others have been mispronouncing them. Recorded short videos on iPads, and practiced conversations of how mispronunciations are experienced and also ways to correct with respect.
I learned that I needed to fix my pronunciation on a few as well. So important to make space for getting this right. After a while, many have given up and adopted different or shortened names. Many needed to be convinced of the right to expect correct name pronunciation.
Create a Pledge
Objectives: Empower each person as a change agent in building a culture of respect and honouring everyone’s name by pronouncing it correctly
Inquiry Question: What can we do to ensure that everyone in our community is included?
o Brainstorm ideas to answer this question: What can we do to ensure that everyone in our community
o Record ideas.
o Discuss the ideas and perimeters for determining actions.
o Have each person create a pledge of what he/she will do to build a community of respect.
Honouring Student Voices: Invite people to share their pledges with the group.
Extending Learning: What can you do to promote a culture of respect beyond your class/university/school?
Some example pledges are here and below:
I, , do hereby affirm my commitment to the Say my Name Campaign by pledging to
- Show respect for others’ names and identities by pronouncing others’ names correctly
- Be a model for others by sharing information and resources about showing respect to others’ names and identities
- Spread the word about the importance of respecting others’ names and identities
- Be proud of who I am and celebrate our differences