For departments about to start their Athena "journey", it can be a bit daunting as to exactly what to do first and where to start.
To help, a 'Framework for Applications' document has been created along with a 'Rapid Action Plan'. These documents give step by step instructions as to what is required. Help is also available from the Equality Challenge Unit Athena web pages.
Alternatively, any questions should be directed in the first instance to s dot beaufoy at warwick dot ac dot uk.
- Ensure all departmental meetings/events and seminars are held within core hour’s (where possible), vary the time/day the meetings are held to ensure part time staff and those with caring responsibilities are not discriminated against.
- Look at the gender balance of your committee memberships.
- Look at the gender balance on departmental publicity and Admissions/Open days.
- Ensure training opportunities are available to all members of staff, Post docs and PhD students.
- Provide opportunities, discuss and understand career aspirations of staff and students.
- Look at your induction process – do you have one?
- Track the destination of your PhD students and Postdocs – find out where they go, if they want to remain in an academic career and how they felt about their time at Warwick.
- Publicise achievements – raising the profile of underrepresentation in your departments.
- Ensure you have a transparent work load model.
- Remove images that reinforce male/female stereotypes.
- Support flexible working.