Disability is one of the nine protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010. The Act aims to protect people from direct and indirect discrimination, harassment, and victimisation on the basis of disability.
Warwick Disability Profile
1 in 25 staff at Warwick declared a disability (5% of those who declared). Sector average is 5.3%.
The statistics and infographic are from our Equality Monitoring Annual Report. If you'd like to know more about why we collect personal and protected characteristic information, have a look at the Equality Monitoring: Why Share Your Personal Information? webpage.
Sources of Information and Support
Find an overview of support, initiatives, and guidance relating to disability using the links below:
- Disability discrimination in law.
- Disability Strategy Statement.
- Disability Taskforce.
- Disability Training and Learning.
- Protected Characteristic Factsheets - Disability .
- Gender, Ethnicity, Disability Pay Gap Report.
- Let's Talk About Disability.
Photo by Cliff Booth from Pexels. Colour filter added to original.
- Disability Framework (workplace adjustments).
- HIV Guidelines .
- Disability, Mental Health and Inclusion Policy .
- Disability Guidance:
- Business Disability Forum - Knowledge Hub.
- Safe Overseas Travel Guidance for Staff with Protected Characteristics.
- Dignity at Warwick (bullying and harassment).
Photo by Tristan Le from Pexels. Colour filter added to original.
- Disabled Staff Network.
- Equality Impact Assessment.
- Sign&Sing Choir (lunchtime, once a week).
- Disability Equality Initiatives.
- ED&I Network.
- ED&I Calendar.
- ED&I Newsletter.
Photo by Marcus Aurelius from Pexels. Colour filter added to original.
- Accessibility and IT Facilities.
- Estates Accessibility Team - subscribe to receive updates about accessibility on campus.
- Car Parking - Blue Badge Holders and Access Difficulties.
- Employee Assistance Programme.
- UK Disability History Month.
- Text Help Read & Write Gold.
- The Sunflower Lanyard - hidden disability scheme.
- Data on disability on the Office for National Statistics website.
- Business Disability Forum Member Resources - the toolkits, factsheets, case studies, videos, and webinars on this website will help you to understand more about how to deliver disability-smart business.
- Business Disability Forum - Inclusive Communications Toolkit.
- HIV and AIDS Awareness Training- on completion please send your certificate to Claire Algar, ED&I Officer at email@example.com.
- Endometriosis UK - Understanding Endometriosis.
- Macmillan Cancer Support.
- Alzheimer's Society - Dementia in the Workplace .
For line managers
- Business Disability Forum People Manager Guides (you need an account to access these resources, you can create an account free with your Warwick email address):
- Resources to help you manage and support your employees with migraines:
Neurodiversity and ASD
- Our Passion is Neurodiversity, from Genius Within .
- Business Disability Forum Neurodiversity Toolkit.
- Students with Autism.
- Guide to Helping Kids with Autism Sleep Better.
- Autism Resource Center.
- Creating an Autism Friendly Home.
- Autism Support Network Resources.
- Moving with Kids with Autism.
- How to Disclose – Guidelines .
- Managing Employees with Autism .
- Guidance for Intern Managers and Trainers .
- Management Meetings .
- Communication Strategies .
- Example Workplace Rules .
- Autism Parenting Magazine - Managing Autism Stimming.