Regulation (EC) No. 852/2004, article 5 states that "food business operators shall put into place, implement and maintain a permanent procedure based on the principles of Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP).
The control and monitoring of food standards and operations are an integral part of the hazard analysis system and essential functions of management, which complete the circle of responsibility. A cost effective food business that produces safe food may only be achieved if managers' take responsibility for:
- setting the requisite standards and objectives;
- providing adequate resources and establishing systems and controls, which includes the documentation, to achieve those standards;
- communicating to employees the required standards;
- training and motivating employees to ensure competence in the production of safe food and to control associated hazards;
- providing effective supervision; and
- monitoring and analyzing.
The following procedure and hazard charts have been provided to give managers and food handlers an overview of what is expected in order to secure safe working practices and compliance with legislative requirements.