Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Permit to Work

The Estates Department manage a Permit to Work system for contractors and for specific activities carried out across the University.

What is a Permit to Work

A Permit to Work is a formal assessment and authorisation for certain high hazard activities which spells out how the work and the associated risks will be controlled. There is a University Permit to Work Policy which all Departments need to adhere to.

When is a Permit to Work Required?

A permit to work is required for any activity where the work could expose persons to specific hazards, or where electrical isolation is not local, or there is more than one supply or where the isolation will have an impact on others.

Principle Contractors are responsible for controlling their own construction site and for issuing permits as required. These permits are independent of the Warwick procedure.

For Estates lead activities, specific permit to work arrangements are detailed in the Standard Operating Procedures 'ES007 - Permits' and 'ES008 - Working at Height', which are available for Estates staff from here.

Wherever possible, an alternative safer means to conduct the work that does not entail the need for a permit should be found.

Who can Issue a Permit to Work

The Estates Office manage a 'Permit to Work' system for contractors and for specific activities undertaken across the University by Departments. Permits are issued by the Permits Officer based in the Permits Office (Rear of Boiler House).

What are the high hazard activities that require a Permit?

Permits are required for:

  • ALL Roof Access
  • Work at height
  • Confined Spaces
  • Hot Works (all temporary operations involving open flames or producing heat and/or sparks, this includes, but is not limited to brazing, cutting, grinding, soldering, thawing, and welding)
  • Isolation of services (non-electrical including gas and pressure systems and pipelines)
  • Electrical Isolation (HV and LV)
  • Work on substations, electrical intake or switch rooms
  • Work in Plant Rooms and Lift Motor Rooms
  • Work on Fire Alarm or Detection Systems
  • Work on or adjacent to the Highway
  • Flying of Drones
  • Excavation, noting the point below:
    • Ground Spikes
      • Due to the risk to buried infrastructure, ground spikes are not to be used at the University of Warwick, for any works, these specifically include setting out for construction works and securing temporary structures, but are not limited to these. Alternative means should be used, such as weighted anchors, or above ground plumb lines.
How are Permits issued?

Permits are applied for on the intranet form - Apply For a Permit or where these are not available, by using the links in the downloadable forms on the right hand side of this page. The online link is only for University staff - Managers, Project Officers, Supervisors etc who will complete the form inserting the appropriate Risk Assessments & Method Statements (RAMS) which they will already have checked for suitability. There will be further checks by the issuing Permit Officer.

3 working days are generally required for routine works, with the exception of Work on or Adjacent to the Highway work which requires 5 working days notice, Excavation work (or ground penetrations) which requires 10 working days notice and the Flying of Drones which requires 20 working days notice.

Emergency permits will be issued at the discretion of the Permit Officer on a case by case basis.

The Permit Office is open 8am-4pm Mon-Wed and 8am to 3.30pm Thurs and Fri. The Permit Office can be contacted on 23652.

Permits are to be collected via the Permit Office (rear of boiler house) and must be returned before leaving site - An out of hours postbox is available.

When will it be issued?

A permit will only be issued where appropriate control measures have been indentified within a detailed risk assessment and these are supported by work Method Statements.

The following activities also require a permit

Close out of permits

Permits are issued by the relevant manager of the project within the Estates Department. Permits must be closed out by the issuing manager within the timescale indicated on the permit.

Notification period

3, 10 or 20 Working Days notice is required for the issuing of a permit, depending upon the high hazard activity. This gives the issuing manager of the project time to assess the documentation and agree other actions as required. The majority of work is pre-planned so this notification period will not impact on the job if it is managed appropriately. However, there are situations, unplanned events, where this notification period cannot be met. These will be dealt with on an individual basis.

When is a permit NOT required?

Where the work is on simple systems with dedicated local isolation, and presents minimal risk, or has no secondary impact on other users. However, a risk assessment and method statements will still be provided and any necessary control measures put in place before works commence.