Designing your Moodle space with accessibility in mind benefits everyone.
The Moodle text toolbar or Atto text editor provides two tools to help you create accessible text based content.
Moodle Accessibility Checker
The Atto Toolbar includes an Accessibility Checker. The Accessibility Checker helps to check for common accessibility errors in text which could prevent all users from accessing information or functionality equally.
The Accessibility Checker will check for
- Images with missing or empty alt text (unless they have the presentation role)
- Insufficient contrast of font colour and background colour
- Long blocks of text that are not sufficiently broken up into headings
- All tables include captions
- Tables should not contain merged cells as they are difficult to navigate with screen readers
- All tables should contain row or column headers
The toolbar icon is of a figure in a black circle.
The image below, shows the Accessibility Checker displaying it's results. It has identified the text and advises that "The colours of the foreground and background text do not have enough contrast. To fix this warning, change either foreground or background colour of the text so that it is easier to read".
The Screenreader helper provides additional information about the currently selected text (e.g. is it bold), as well as a listing any images or links in the text. The image below show's the Screenreader helper identifying the style, links and images present in the text.
- Introduction to managing course participants
- Make your course visible to students
- Check participants
- Enrolment methods and managing access permissions
- Roles and their functions in Moodle
- Switch to another role
- Create groups
- Create groupings
- Using activities with groups and groupings
- Activity completion
- Course completion
- Course participation
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create and grade a submission using a rubric
- Use a marking workflow for assignments
- Allocate markers to specific submissions
- Create a fail / pass scale
- Provide grades and feedback for individual assignments
- Check the status of submissions
- Hide or show grades and feedback
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges