Activity completion allows course leaders, editing teachers etc to set completion criteria to activities and resources. When students meet the requirements, this is indicated on the Activity completion report demonstrated here:
TIP: Activity completion can be used as a way of restricting access to an activity or resource based on a student meeting the completion criteria of another activity or resource.
Turn Completion tracking on
1. By default, Activity completion tracking is turned off. To turn it on, click on the main settings cog-wheel (top right of the course) and choose Edit settings.
2. Scroll down the course settings page and click on 'Course tracking', this will then allow you to turn completion tracking on.
3. Click 'Save and display' at the bottom of the page.
4. Once completion tracking has been turned one, the next step is to set which activities you would like including in the completion tracking report. You can either do this on mass, or individually.
Set activity completion tracking individually
5. Click the 'Edit' link to the right hand-side of the activity or resource that you want to include in your activity completion report.
6. Choose 'Edit settings'.
7. Scroll down the page and click on 'Activity Completion'. You will then see options to set the requirements in order for the activity to show as complete. These vary between resources. The completion criteria for a (PDF) for example, can only be 'viewed', where as for an Assignment as demonstrated below, it might be that a student must recieve a grade to complete the activity.
TIP: If you set a grade to pass for an Assignment or Quiz for example, the grade that a student must recieve for the activity to be considered complete, must be the pass grade.
8. When you have set the required activity completion criteria to the activity or resource, click 'Save and return to course' at the bottom of the page.
Set activity completion tracking on mass
9. To do this on mass, click on the main settings cog wheel (top right of the course) and choose 'Course completion'.
10. Here, you have two options.
Allows you to set activity completion criteria to any activity or resource that is added to the course in future. The criteria that you set to a particular activity or resource will be added to that activity or resource every time that it is added to the course.
10.1. Click on the tick box to the left of any of the activity or resources and then click the 'Edit' button.
10.2. Set the required activity completion criteria. The conditions in order for the activity to show as complete will vary between activities and resurces. The completion criteria for a (PDF) for example, can only be 'viewed', where as for an Assignment as demonstrated below, it might be that a student must recieve a grade to complete the activity. When done, click 'Save Changes'.
Allows you to set activity completion criteria to existing activity and resources on mass.
10.3 Click on the tick box to the left of any of the existing activity or resources that you want to apply activity completion criteria to and then click the 'Edit' button.
TIP: Consider what type of criteria you are looking to apply when selecting the activities and resources. If you simply want to apply the condition that students must 'view' selected activity or resources, then you can mix the activities and resources that you choose, however, if you select a file for example, and an assignment, you won't get the option that a 'student must recieve a grade to complete this activity' for the assignment as it's not possible to grade a PDF.
10.4 Set the required activity completion criteria to the existing activity or resources that you selected and when done click 'Save changes'.
View the Activity completion report
11. Once you have added completion tracking to all of the activities and resources that you want to include in your activity completion report, you can access the report by clicking on the main settings cog wheel (top right of the course) and choose 'More'.
10. Scroll down the screen and you will see a section titled 'Reports'. Here you find a link to the 'Activity completion' report.
TIP: Users with editing rights are able to manually tick activity completion boxes for students, or indeed un-tick completion as and when required.
For more guidance on Activity completion please see:
- Introduction to managing course participants
- Make your course visible to students
- Check participants
- Enrolment methods and managing access permissions
- Roles and their functions in Moodle
- Switch to another role
- Create groups
- Create groupings
- Using activities with groups and groupings
- Activity completion
- Course completion
- Course participation
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create and grade a submission using a rubric
- Use a marking workflow for assignments
- Allocate markers to specific submissions
- Create a fail / pass scale
- Provide grades and feedback for individual assignments
- Check the status of submissions
- Hide or show grades and feedback
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges