Moodle has a range of activities and resources that can be added to create a well organised and rich learning environment for students.
An 'activity' is the general name for a group of features in a Moodle course, usually something that enables or requires interaction with other participants. There are more than a dozen types of activities in Moodle and these are added via the 'Add an activity or resource' link that is visible within sections when you have turned editing on for the course.
'Resources' are generally static information that a teacher wants the students to read or watch, such as a file or link. Resources appear as a single link with an icon in front of it that represents the type of resource. These are added in edit mode via the 'Add an activity or resource'.
Please see Structure your course for more information on blocks. Whilst these are a type of content, they are usually used to provide an overview of the course itself (e.g. an activities block can be used to visualise the activities added to a course.) or to link to external tools such as lecture capture (Echo 360) and reading lists (Talis Aspire).
There are a number of activity types - wiki, blog, forum, announcements - that are particularly suited to, and covered in the section dedicated to, communication and collaboration.
Where can I find images to use on Moodle?
There are a number of free image services available. Ensure you understand the licencing before using images from any free service. Whilst the images may be free to download they may still require attribution.
- Introduction to managing course participants
- Make your course visible to students
- Check participants
- Enrolment methods and managing access permissions
- Roles and their functions in Moodle
- Switch to another role
- Create groups
- Create groupings
- Using activities with groups and groupings
- Activity completion
- Course completion
- Course participation
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create and grade a submission using a rubric
- Use a marking workflow for assignments
- Allocate markers to specific submissions
- Create a fail / pass scale
- Provide grades and feedback for individual assignments
- Check the status of submissions
- Hide or show grades and feedback
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges