A URL is a link to a website or online file.
1. Click 'Add an activity or resource' in the Section/Topic where you want the URL to be.
2. Choose 'URL (weblink)' from the list of 'Resources' and click the 'Add' button.
3. Give the URL a 'Name' and type/paste the URL into the 'External URL' box. You may also want to give the URL a description.
4. Scroll down the settings page and you'll see by default, URL's open in a new window so a user can access and use the URL, close it and return easily to their original Moodle course page.
However, URL's can be displayed in various ways. A nice way to display a webpage is to change the 'Appearance' to 'Embed'
5. Click 'Save and display' at the bottom of the settings page.
6. You will then see the URL embedded within your Moodle course, as users will see when they click the URL link from the course page.
Note: This ONLY works with URL's that begin https:// (if it's http:// then it is recommended that you use 'New Window').
For more advanced guidance on Adding a URL to Moodle please see:
- Introduction to managing course participants
- Make your course visible to students
- Check participants
- Enrolment methods and managing access permissions
- Roles and their functions in Moodle
- Switch to another role
- Create groups
- Create groupings
- Using activities with groups and groupings
- Activity completion
- Course completion
- Course participation
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create and grade a submission using a rubric
- Use a marking workflow for assignments
- Allocate markers to specific submissions
- Create a fail / pass scale
- Provide grades and feedback for individual assignments
- Check the status of submissions
- Hide or show grades and feedback
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges