Assignment submission settings allow a Moodle space Editors to configure the submission type for the Moodle assignment. The following types of Moodle assignments are available:
The online text allows a student to enter text into the Moodle assignment.
The advantage of online text is the assignment text is stored and can be read within Moodle. There are no files to download. It is particularly well suited to assignments requiring shorter word counts.
With this assignment setting:
Students type text into an editing window in their web browser
- Students can periodically edit the text as long as the assignment is open
- Students can insert links and multimedia content via the editor
- Students are not able to attach files
The file submission setting allows your students to attach any standard type of file as part of their submission.
- An Editing Teacher can set the maximum number of files (1-20) that can be uploaded
- An Editing Teacher can also set the maximum file submission size (10KB-100MB)
- An Editor can also select the type of file accepted for the submission
- Your students are able to upload files one at at time; or use the drag-and-drop function to add multiple files at once.
- Students may delete the original file(s) and upload a newer version until the assignment submission is closed.
An Editing teacher can create a media-based assignment, allowing students to respond with a video or audio submissions, safe in the knowledge that their content is private and secure.
Where are media files uploaded?
Moodle integrates with a technology called, eStream. eStream is a media streaming service available to all staff and students at the university. It can be accessed using standard Warwick IT account details at https://estream.warwick.ac.uk.
How does it work?
Once the media based assessment is setup in the Moodle space, a student can upload their media submissions directly via the Moodle space. Key benefits are:
- Students can easily add video and audio submissions without leaving Moodle
- A grader can view and grade a media submission directly in the Moodle space
- A student can upload large media files (6GB Max size)
Please note: If this submission option is used, students MUST submit an audio/video file item for assignment to be able to be submitted.
A Mahara assignment submission allows students to submit their ePortfolio assignment to Moodle for assessment.
With this assignment setting:
- Students can choose a page or collection for marking
- Students receive a confirmation of the submission
- Students can also submit an optional file with their Mahara page or collection
- An Editing teacher can setup the assignment so that the Mahara page is locked for editing after submission.
- Introduction to managing course participants
- Make your course visible to students
- Check participants
- Enrolment methods and managing access permissions
- Enrol participants using Warwick auto-enrolment
- Manually enrol participants onto a Moodle space
- Roles and their functions in Moodle
- Switch to another role
- Create groups
- Create groupings
- Using group mode with activities
- Enable activity completion
- Mark activity completion manually
- Track activity completion
- Course completion
- Course participation
- Introduction to structuring your course
- Choose or change the format of your course
- Add a course header
- Add a course description
- Add a block
- Move or delete a block
- Manage sections within a Moodle space
- Add, move, delete or hide a section
- Restrict access to sections and activities
- Using tags in Moodle
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create and grade a submission using a rubric
- Use a marking workflow for assignments
- Allocate markers to specific submissions
- Create a fail / pass scale
- Provide grades and feedback for individual assignments
- Check the status of submissions
- Hide or show grades and feedback
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges
- Introduction to eStream
- Access your eStream content
- Uploading videos to eStream
- Edit videos in eStream
- Edit video thumbnail
- Uploading a closed captions (subtitles) file to eStream
- Add eStream videos to Mahara
- Sharing eStream videos to Moodle
- Sharing an eStream video with a link
- Setup a video assignment in Moodle