Campus Print Review 2015
What are we doing?
We're reviewing our print, copy, scan and fax infrastructure to make it more efficient.
We did this before in 2011. 2015's audit will mirror the work we did in 2011, helping us to gauge the progress our Managed Print Service has made.
When will this audit happen?
NewField IT staff are expected on site from Monday 7 December 2015 to Friday 18 December 2015. The audit will resume on Monday 4 January 2016, and we expect it to take another 2 to 3 weeks.
Managed Print Service receives the Simplify Team Award at the 2015 CCSG Awards Evening
The Managed Print Service is delighted to announce that it has received the "Simplify Team Award" at the 2015 CCSG Awards Evening on the 8th May. Our sincere thanks to every member of the team now and over the last 5 years and to all of our colleagues within ITS, warwickprint and Purchasing for their tireless hard work and support.
We would also like to thank all of our staff, student, alumni and visitor customers and look forward to continuing to develop and improve the service that we offer to each and every one of you.
Save O Meter - Now Live!
A live real-time copy of the SafeCom Save-O-Meter is now available! (N.B. You must be on a campus network to view this page)
This provides a graphical representation of the work that we have carried out to-date, giving you an overview of the progress that is being made to improve both the overall efficiency and financial/environmental credentials of print within the MPS.
A more detailed breakdown of all of the Service Metrics /SLT's for the Printing Services team is also available.
Click on the image below for the real-time information.
This tool can be used to provide a direct like for like comparision with our colleagues in the HE sector.
For example the following institutions also utilise the SafeCom Print Management solution.
- Imperial College London
- Leeds Beckett
- Leeds Metropolitian University
- Newcastle University
- University of Lincoln
- St Andrews
The Managed Print Service - A vision for 2016 and 2020
To Oct 2016 (1st Managed Print Service, MPS - 2012 to 2016)
- An increase to 425 - Managed Print Service, MPS devices (MFDs and Single Function)
- An increase to 325 - "Pull Print" enabled devices (MFDs and Single Function)
- An increase to 100 - Scan to Folder enabled Multifunction Devices (MFDs)
- A reduction to 400 - Push Print queues
- Savings of 200 trees
- A small scale implementation (10-15) of e-fax (non- analogue) deployed to key high-volume fax using customers
- A gradual conversion to a "Click Only" PAYG charging scheme - inclusive of hardware, service, support, consumables, reporting and software licensing
- Full site survey and audit completed - Nov 2015 with the results published early 2016.
- Increased use of warwickprint for the cost-effective and high quaility production of both staff and student high volume, wide format and specialist printing
After Nov 2016 (2nd Managed Print Service, MPS - 2016 to 2020)
- An increase to 450 - Manged Print Service, MPS devices (MFDs and Single Function)
- An increase to 350 - "Pull Print" enabled devices (MFDs and Single Function)
- An increase to 300 - Scan to Folder enabled Multifunction Devices (MFDs)
- A reduction to 300 - Push Print queues
- Savings of 400 trees
- A much larger scale implementation (50-75) of e-fax (non-non- analogue) deployed to key high and medium volume fax using customers
- Full conversion to a "Click Only" PAYG charging scheme - inclusive of hardware, service, support, consumables, reporting and software licensing
- Heavy use of warwickprint for the cost-effective and high quaility production of both staff and student high volume, wide format and specialist printing
SafeCom Pull Print Solution - Hits 300!
The SafeCom Pull Print solution for staff and students has reached an important milestone.
We are pleased to announce that the SafeCom Pull Print solution has been deployed on a total of 300 Multifunction Devices (MFDs) and single function printers across the University Campus with a presence in 95% of the University Staff departments.
If your department would like to know more about the MPS or the SafeCom Pull Print system and some of it's benefits please feel free to contact us.
Need to Scan to Folder? Try our new service upon your SafeCom Pull Print enabled Kyocera TASKalfa MFD.
Printing Services Video Leaflets - Kiosks
Over the next week (15th December 2014) our Printing Services Video Leaflets will be presented via newly developed interactive touchscreen kiosks.
These 10" displays feature touchscreens that give you the ability to select and view video versions of our 11 most popular support queries/tutorials. This complements our already popular Helpdesk Leaflets.
Initially these kiosks will be deployed in some of our most popular and highest volume locations:
- Library - 1st Floor
- University House - Learning Grid 1st and 2 Floor
- Rootes Building - Rootes Grid
- Senate House - PG Hub
Scan to folder - Coming on 22nd September 2014
Scan to folder is a service which allows you to place a document on one of our printer/photocopiers, have the photocopier scan it and create a PDF file from it, and then have that PDF sent to your H drive.
By default this service will transfer your chosen scanned file in PDF format directly to the your home or "H"drive in a newly created folder called "My Scans" within your Documents folder. The file will be autonamed in the following manner "usercode-date-time".
For further information about this exciting new service coming in September 2014 to student workareas and a limited number of staff departments.
Printer Driver Update Activity
IT Services will be updating the printer driver in use on the Kyocera "pull" print queues, this update contains a number of small changes and bugs fixes and a new, easier to navigate user interface.
The change will take place out of hours on Monday 28th July 2014
For further details of this change and how it may affect you please visit the our dedicated FAQs page.
CCSG Collaborative Working Award 2014 - The MPS has been shortlisted
The MPS team are pleased to announce that the Managed Print Service has been shortlisted for the CCSG Collaborative Working Award 2014.
The Awards Evening will take place on Friday 9th May 2014, we will publish the results here at the earliest possible convenience.
Printing unavailable: Saturday 22 March 2014
The campus printing service will be unavailable between 9am and 2pm on Saturday 22 March 2014 while IT Services carry out some essential maintenance work.
The service may be working again before 2pm, but ITS can't guarantee that it will be.
The Unix printing system will be unaffected by the work. If you have any questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk.