Go.Warwick is the University's service to shorten long web addresses (URLs) to create short, memorable URLs, known as Go redirects. Once you have a Go redirect, you can cite it as
warwick.ac.uk/somewhere. To use Go.Warwick, you must be a member of staff.
In this article:
Tips for Go redirect request approval
After you request a Go redirect, we review its suitability and the target web page. To help with a speedy approval, ensure that the:
- redirect does not already exist
- target page is a web page, not a file
- target page is available and gives a good impression of what the page or website is about
- target page's view permissions are open to anyone, whether signed in or not
- requested Go redirect is unique to your page or website – for example, we're less likely to approve
Request a Go redirect
- Go to go.warwick.ac.uk.
- Select the Create new redirect tab.
In Path for the Go redirect, enter the name of the redirect you want. The name must be one word and only contain lower-case letters, numbers or underscores – for example:
Go redirects should not be too general or ambiguous. For example, we're unlikely to approve requests such as
/videofor a specific video clip relating to a course, because it would appear to be a general University video service. However, a request such as
/electronvideois probably fine.
In the Description box, enter a short summary of the page you're redirecting to – for example:
Research group in post-Kantian European philosophy
To redirect to another page on the University website, select A SiteBuilder page, then enter the URL of the target page – for example:
Note: to aid a speedy approval, ensure that:
- the redirect does not already exist
- the target is a web page, not a file
- the target page exists
- the target page's view permissions are public
- To redirect to a web page outside of
warwick.ac.uk, select A non-SiteBuilder web page, then enter the URL of the target page.
When visitors start typing a word in the search box at the top right of any SiteBuilder page, suggestions appear automatically:
To include your Go redirect in these suggestions, select Visible in Go.Suggest box.
- Select Request new redirect. Your request is sent to the ITS Web Team to ensure it meets all the relevant criteria. Once this process is completed, you receive an email to tell you whether or not the request is successful, which can take a few days.
- After your request is approved, you can manage your redirects on the My redirects tab at https://go.warwick.ac.uk.
Note: bear in mind that all Go redirects must be approved before they become live. Wait until we have notified you of a Go redirect approval before quoting the Go redirect in any printed material.
Email webteam at warwick dot ac dot uk
How to report a problem