Google Tag Manager is a free service you can use to add your own analytics tags, e.g. to monitor data for marketing campaigns, to your website without the need for IT Services' involvement when you wish to add or edit tags. This page describes how to add the Google Tag Manager container ID to your site properties in SiteBuilder. To do this, you need admin or edit permissions for your site's home page.
- Go to tagmanager.google.com.
- Follow Google's instructions on how to create a new container.
- Make a note of your Google Tag Manager container ID – it looks like
- Return to SiteBuilder and browse to any page on your website.
- Go to Edit > More > Current site tab. (You need edit or admin permissions for your home page to do this.)
- In the Manage site section, select Edit site properties.
Paste the container ID in the Google Tag Manager code box:
- If you are using Google Analytics via Google Tag Manager, you should now remove the tracking ID from the Google Analytics code box. Otherwise, you'll find that data is recorded twice.
- Select the Save changes button.
The container ID is now added to every page on your website.
The Google Tag Manager container ID you specify in site properties does not cascade to subsites. To use Google Tag Manager with your subsites, you have two options:
- Add the container ID to each subsite – you administer all tags via one site in Google Tag Manager.
- Create new container IDs for each subsite – you administer tags in separate sites in Google Tag Manager.
Email webteam at warwick dot ac dot uk
How to report a problem