Skip to main content

Research Staff Profile - Dr Susan Burrows

sue_burrows.jpg  Dr Susan Burrows
Senior Research Fellow, Department of Physics,
S.E.Burrows@warwick.ac.uk  

Life before Warwick
I spent three years at the Scottish Crop Research Institute looking at plant fibres.

Best things about working at Warwick
The friendly working environment, and also landscaping of the campus – it looks good all year round.

Worst thing about working for Warwick or If you could change one thing at Warwick, what would it be?
Queuing to get onto campus in the morning, then having to pay to park. Where I live the car is the only transport option.

What people are surprised to learn about me?
I play the piano and violin, I am also an occasional church organist.

What would your dream job be?
My dream job would involve a mixture of reading and gardening, preferably in a sunny climate. Any ideas?

Research interest
I have a background in glasses and ceramics, and am currently working in the Ultrasound group, looking at high temperature piezoelectric transducers.

What have been useful training/ development to date
Sessions on how to write grant applications have been the most useful, although learning from colleagues is also important.

Other roles (eg. peer review journals)
Where to start? I sit on the Research Forum as the research representative for Physics, the Athena Swan action group and the departmental safety committee, as well as setting and supervising final year student projects, peer reviewing articles etc etc.

Next bid/ grant
I will be moving into the teaching labs from January – learning this new role will take up my time in the immediate future.

Latest academic writing publication (journal/ book etc)
• ‘Thermographic Detection of Surface Breaking Defects Using a Scanning Laser Source’ SE.Burrows, S.Dixon, SG.Pickering, T.Li, DP.Almond NDT&E International 44 2011 589-596

Looking for?
As a chemist in a former life, I would like to do some more work with sol-gel systems – a good way of preparing glasses or ceramics which cannot be prepared conventionally.

Major achievement to date
Combining a research career with bringing up children – it can be done!

Three top tips / learning
• Be flexible, don’t be afraid to change direction.
• Communicate outside of your own group.
• Keep a good work-life balance.