Skip to main content

Research Staff Profile - Ruth Cherrington

rcherrington.jpg  Ruth Cherrington,
Research Assistant, Sustainable Materials Group, WMG.
R.Cherrington@warwick.ac.uk
Tel ext: 75752

Current Research
Since September 2010, I have worked as a research assistant on several short term projects giving me experience in many areas of materials development through processing, modification and testing.
Projects I have been involved with include:
• The Warwick Low Carbon roadshow
• Investigating the incentives for recycling wind turbine blades
• WMG researchers’ forum
• SNAPT summer school
I am interested in all aspects of the development sustainable technologies. More recently, my work has focused on the development of new sustainable and biodegradable materials to replace those materials traditionally made.

Life before Warwick
I graduated from the University of Exeter in 2010 with a 2.1 in Renewable Energy BSc (Hons). This degree has provided me with a solid understanding of the technical and environmental issues covering a broad range of renewable energy technologies.

Best things about working at Warwick
I am involved with a wide variety of projects enabling me to gain an understanding of a range of new subjects and research areas. I am privileged to work with many experts within their field, who have been kind enough to share their knowledge and experience.
The university is a great place for career development and I have taken advantage of many of the courses offered by the Learning and Development Centre. The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) training, in particular, was extremely insightful in understanding the different methods individuals reach decisions. This knowledge has been beneficial for collaborative work within a mixed team.

Worst thing about working for Warwick or If you could change one thing at Warwick, what would it be?
I think that communication between researchers working within the University could be improved. Many researchers are working on great projects that we never hear about.

What would you dream job be?
I enjoy varied work on real projects, investigating solutions to problems that might not have been considered before. I hope to continue to develop my knowledge within the areas of sustainability and renewable technologies.

Three top tips / learning
• Make the most of every opportunity.
• Don’t be scared of a new challenge.
• Diversify.