Public engagement, outreach and widening participation (WP) are all terms we hear a lot, but you might not be clear as to what the differences are, and why it matters. This session aims to address the confusion, and help you develop your own session for engaging different audiences with your research or subject area. We’ll talk about tailoring content for these audiences, having to take a flexible approach to engagement and thinking on your feet, as well as evaluation and best practice. This sinlge session gives you the opportunity to build your skills, create your own session, and receive feedback on the session from your peers.
Who should attend?
University of Warwick Research Active Staff (Research-focussed, Teaching-focussed and Research & Teaching contracts).
PhD students interested in speaking to WP audiences (including schools) about their research or subject area.
Workshop enables attendees to:
- Explain the concepts of Outreach, Public Engagement and Widening Participation (WP), and the differences between them.
- Create a deeper understanding of how to engage people from diverse backgrounds and different age groups, inc. from a Widening Participation (WP) background
- Come away with a practical tool for planning activities for a PE or WP target audience.
- Be aware of potential risks and exit strategies for working with diverse audiences
- Introduce mechanisms to measure and evaluate sessions
- Raise awareness of opportunities to get involved and apply training
Widening Participation and Public Engagement Team
Further Workshops in the Public Engagement Series 2018/9:
Giving Great Public Engagement Presentations
Wednesday 20 March 2019, 12.00 - 15.00, Wolfson 1 & 2,The Research Exchange, 3rd Floor, The Library
Workshops in the Planning your Publication Strategy Series 2018/9 that have already taken place:
A Beginner's Guide to Public Engagement
Friday 7 December 2018, 09.30 - 12.30, Wolfson 1 & 2, The Research Exchange, 3rd Floor, The Library
Evaluating your Public Engagement Activity
Wednesday 6 February 2019, 12.30 - 15.30, R0.04 (Ramphal Building) Main Campus
Thursday 9 May 2019
09.30 - 12.30
OCO.01, Oculus Building, Main Campus
Learning and Development Advisor for RAS, LDC
Administrative Assistant, LDC