Do you want to get involved more with Widening Participation and Public Engagement work? This interactive and practical workshop will help you gain a deeper understanding of Outreach, Public Engagement and Widening Participation work at the University and how to engage learners from diverse backgrounds and different age groups, especially from a Widening Participation (WP) background. Our aim is to help you increase your confidence pitching to a range of audiences, giving you tools to design and plan a session on your research area/a topic in your subject discipline for a WP/Public Engagement target audience. You will get to hear from colleagues across the University who are already engaging in this kind of work and discuss good practice examples. We will also introduce mechanisms to measure and evaluate your impact and inform you about opportunities to get involved in Widening Participation/Public Engagement initiatives across the University.
Who should attend?
University of Warwick Research Active Staff (Research focused, Teaching focused and Research & Teaching contracts).
PhD students interested in speaking to WP audiences (including schools) about their research or subject area.
Workshop enables attendees to:
- Explain the concepts of Outreach, Public Engagement and Widening Participation (WP), and the differences between them.
- Create a deeper understanding of how to engage learners from diverse backgrounds and different age groups, especially from a Widening Participation (WP) background
- Design and plan a session on your research area/a topic in your discipline for a WP target audience.
- Raising awareness of good practice from across the University and that it is a learning process
- Introduce mechanisms to measure and evaluate sessions
- Raise awareness of opportunities to get involved and apply training
Naomi Kay, Engagement Officer, Public Engagement Team
Further Workshops in the Public Engagement Series 2018/9:
A Beginner's Guide to Public Engagement
Friday 7 December 2018, 09.30 - 12.30, Wolfson 1 & 2, The Research Exchange, 3rd Floor, The Library
Evaluating your Public Engagement Activity
Wednesday 6 February 2019, 12.30 - 15.30, R0.04 (Ramphal Building) Main Campus
Giving Great Public Engagement Presentations
Wednesday 20 March 2019, 12.00 - 15.00, Wolfson 1 & 2,The Research Exchange, 3rd Floor, The Library
TBA - will be next Academic Year (2019/20)
This workshop is split into 2 parts (attendance is required at both parts)
Friday 12 October 2018
Friday 19 October 2018
09.30 - 12.30
Refreshments will be available 30 minutes before the start of the workshop.
Wolfson 1 & 2, The Research Exchange, 3rd floor, The Library.
Engagement Officer, Public Engagement Team
Learning and Development Advisor for RAS, LDC
Administrative Assistant, LDC