- Csikszentmihalyi (1992). Flow: the classic work on how to achieve happiness. London: Random House.
- de Freitas, S. (2006) Learning in immersive worlds: A review of game-based learning. London: JISC. (Accessed 9 March 2016).
- Hirumi, Appleman and Van Eck (2010). Preparing instructional designers for game-base learning: part 1. TechTrends, 54 (3), 27-37. (Accessed 9 March 2016).
- van Eck, R. (2006) Digital game-based learning: It’s not just the digital natives who are restless, Educause Review, 41(2), 16-30. (Accessed 9 March 2016).
- Whitton, N. (2011). Game engagement theory and adult learning. Simulation & Gaming, 42 (5), pp. 597–610. (Accessed 9 March 2016).
Available instantly online
- CSI: Web adventures
- Elderquest - Discover the MAGIC of Geriatrics (requires a plug in for Unity game player to be downloaded)
- Employability skills
- Mindhabits (Demo) - Based on social intelligence research conducted at McGill University, these stress busting, confidence boosting games use simple, fun-to-play exercises designed to help players develop and maintain a more positive state of mind.
- MP for a week - Step into the shoes of a backbench MP. There's plenty to do from making laws and speeches to dealing with the media, government ministers and your constituents. But can you keep your party and voters happy to survive the week?
- Pairs – a series of games created by colleagues and students at the University of Warwick . If you would like to create your own game email me e dot l dot king at warwick dot ac dot uk and I can create copy the template to an area on your own webpages.
- Playgen – Re-education and health solutions (Demo) - Breaking a complex procedure down step by step to reduce risk in the real world. The training costs and risks of surgery can be a extremely high, and this is especially true when operating on the heart. A solution was required that could recreate a realistic and immersive operating room environment at a fraction of the cost of high-end simulators, while still testing the surgeon’s knowledge and skills. Then click on one of the three images (a heart, news flash or the family) about halfway down the page, under the heading Re-Education and Health Solutions to play one of the demo games.
- AA3 (American Army simulation) - Although the game can be played online you need to download and install Steam
- Civilization III (full game)
- Objection(demo) - Games for developing knowledge and skills as lawyers, prosecutors and judges.
- Prime Minister Forever(free trial to download) - British Version is the most in-depth, intense parliamentary election game ever made. Using realistic electorate modelling techniques, an unprecedented number of options, the ability to plan complex strategies, detailed candidates, and sporting a futuristic interface, this is the United Kingdom 2010 big time! Strategy is done not only by region but down to the individual constituency, each with the relevant candidates, ratings, and percentages.
Although you will need to install these you can see details and screenshots by following the links below.
- Mahjong Chem A free game to practice your chemistry knowledge using classic Mahjong gameplay!
- Neuroknowledge - Push your mind to the limit and bring out your inner brainiac in this quiz with 90 randomized questions. Time counts!
- Test your vocabulary with Science XL - The scientific goal of this app is to help increase our understanding of one of the most important and complex human skills, our ability to read. Fundamental to this skill is the way we can rapidly and effortlessly decode strings of letters, identifying what word they refer to, and the meaning of that word. To help us in our endeavor, we will use a well-known laboratory task, the lexical decision task.