As a research student supervisor much of your work may be routed via the departmental Director of Graduate Studies. However, there will be occasions where you may need to contact the Graduate School directly. The list below indicates the interactions that you may have with the Graduate School, although much of this may be directed via the DGS or PG Secretary as per departmental procedures:
- Enrolment – Students are expected to (re)enrol on an annual basis and non-enrolers are contacted for confirmation of their withdrawal. As a supervisor you may wish to confirm that the student is in attendance and will enrol shortly.
- Supervisory loads - Should you take over the supervision of a student if, for example, another supervisor leaves Warwick or is temporarily incapacitated, then you will need to inform the Graduate School so we can ensure that you receive the appropriate communications and that for external reporting purposes, supervisory loads are updated appropriately.
- MPhil Upgrade – If your student is initially registered on a MPhil/PhD registration then the confirmation that they have successfully completed their MPhil upgrade is an important one so that records can be amended.
- Nomination of Examiners - Supervisors must ensure that examiners are nominated for examinations in good time, and that they are approved in advance of the thesis being submitted.
- Scholarships Advice – The Scholarships Team work with supervisors and DGS’ to advise as to the best sources of funding for students. This may be utilising bespoke research council funds or accessing industry-facing schemes such as the Warwick Collaborative Postgraduate Research Scholarships.
- Events – The Graduate School runs a schedule of student-focused events that serve to support students during their registration at the University. Events are posted regularly on the Graduate School’s website and range from ‘Thesis Submission Workshops’, aimed at PGR students due to submit their thesis for examination, through to PGR lunches.