Coronavirus (Covid-19): Latest updates and information
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Your Information Rights

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 facilitates access to information held by public authorities (including the University of Warwick) in two ways:

  • By requiring public authorities to adopt and maintain publication schemes, which should have the effect of improving the amount and quality of information routinely made available to the public. The University’s publication scheme has been approved by the Information Commissioner and can be accessed here. The Scheme sets out details of classes of information the University will routinely make available to anyone who consults it, how the information will be published, how the information can be obtained and whether any charge will be made for this information.
  • By creating a right to make a request for information. Anyone, including people living abroad, non-UK citizens, journalists, political parties, lobby groups and commercial organisations, will have the right to ask public authorities for information they hold.

The Environmental Information Regulations 2004 provide a broadly similar right of access with regard to environmental information.

The Data Protection Act 1998 continues to be valid and will still provide access to personal information held about you as an individual. You should note that any requests relating to your personal information should be submitted as subject access requests under the remit of the Data Protection Act as such requests are exempt under the FoIA.

All current and former staff, students and other members of the University have the right to request access to personal data processed by the University and such requests should be made to the University's Data Protection Officer. In order to request personal data, a Subject Access (DP1) form, available here, must first be completed and returned to the Data Protection Officer along with two items that give proof of identity. At least one of these must be a photographic identity card such as your University card, driving licence or passport.