The BioMed Grid is a flexible and informal space for individual or group study, tailored specifically to the needs of Biological Sciences and Medical Students.
There are currently five Grids, four for students: BioMed Grid, The Learning Grid in University House, Learning Grid Leamington, Learning Grid Rootes and a fifth for teaching staff: The Teaching Grid.
We offer a range of spaces to allow you to pick what works for you - whether it's individual study, working collaboratively, presentation activities or using technology.
Warwick Medical School
Gibbet Hill Road
The University of Warwick
- Plasma screens
- Reference books
- Numbered medical guides
- Kyocera printers
Using the space
Please be considerate of others and following the rules below about use of the space.
- Hot and cold drinks
- Cold food
- Talking is permitted, although we do ask you to be considerate of your fellow students in the individual study area
- Hot food
- Kettles, heaters or microwaves
- Live streaming or linking game consules
Entrance and exit is by University card only. (Please note: temporary Library passes will not be accepted). The entrance is also suitable for anyone with mobility issues.
For rules, regulations and space information, see Which Grid to use? »
Clinical Skills Area
The Clinical Skills area of the BioMed Grid can be booked to practise and improve skills.
We possess a large array of medical equipment, available for free use. To access the equipment you will need to surrender your University ID card to the Assistant on duty and they will open up the equipment cabinet for you. When you have finished all the equipment will be checked off as returned and your card handed back to you.
The Clinical Skills equipment list includes;
- Otoscope (black hand held instrument with a conical end used to look into the ear)
- Opthalmoscope (similar to otoscope, but without the conical end, instead a flat paddle-like end with a dial on, used to look into the eye)
- Model heads to use with the opthalmoscopes showing 44 different retinas
- 6 x Stethoscopes
- 6 x Sphygmanometer (old fashioned blood pressure - arm band with a pump)
- Pen torches
- Tuning fork ( test vibration sense by placing over a bony protrusion)
- Reflex hammers (tendon reflexes)
- Weighing scales.
- Revision aids (stored in Adviser cupboard - one for Finals Revision and one with Revision Summaries)
Book the Clinical Skills area Book the Clinical Skills area
If you wish to make a suggestion for equipment in the BioMed Grid, please use our online form »
We also have a great collection of models including a full size skeleton. Although we cannot allow the items to be removed from the Grid, our late opening hours mean you have access to these resources beyond the availability of the Medical Schools own collection.
You will need to surrender your University ID card to the Assistant on duty and they will open up the area for you to use. Your card will be handed back once the equipment has been checked in.
Clinical Skills Teaching
Every year our Student Community Engagment Assistants run a senior medical student led clinical skills teaching course aimed at first year students. It covers core systems history and examination and is taught using a syllabus supplied by the medical school.