Please read our student and staff community guidance on COVID-19
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Room allocations

Student accommodation is allocated by the Residential Life Warden. The Warden assigns students to a specified room in a residence. Students must comply with the decision of the Warden regarding the allocation of rooms. The Warden shall have the right to change the room allocation at their discretion - at any time - as they think fit.

Period of residence

Your accommodation fees entitle you to occupy your room from the first day of the contract, until 10.00 hours on the last day of the letting period. Please cooperate with the domestic staff by vacating your room promptly and leaving it in a clean and tidy condition. You need to remove all cooking utensils from the kitchen and dispose of old/unwanted food and other debris in the plastic bin bags provided, ensuring that you recycle where you can. Any items left behind at the end of a letting period will be disposed of.

Room changes and transfers

All room changes must be approved by the Residential Life Team and there will be an administrative fee of £35 (this charge remains at the same level as the 2018-19 academic year). If you want to transfer within your hall you should contact a member of the Residential Life Team. If the Residential Life Team believe you should be permitted to move they will contact the Warden to confirm the change. You will then need to liaise with Warwick Accommodation to complete the paperwork to update your accommodation contract. If there are no suitable rooms available in your hall and you wish to transfer to another University residence you must apply directly to Warwick Accommodation. A transfer list will be available on the Warwick Accommodation website from Monday of week 3 (term 1).

You need to notify Warwick Accommodation of any room changes. Unauthorised room transfers will incur a financial penalty and/or disciplinary action.

Paying your accommodation fees

Accommodation fees are due at the start of each term and can be paid in a variety of ways. Full details on how to pay your accommodation fees can be found on the Student Finance site. Please note that when a payment is overdue, late payment penalties may apply.

Subletting is not allowed

You are responsible for the access to your room and are the named person undertaking the accommodation contract for that room. Sublets are not allowed. This means that you need to take care of your key card and are responsible for any visitors or guests you invite into residential halls. The rules around having guests to stay overnight are outlined in the Rules section of the Life in Halls website. You need to ask the local Residential Life Team before having guests to stay.

Departure before end of your accommodation contract

Your accommodation contract lasts for the full duration stated in your contract - even if you move out of your room early (refer to section 4 of your contract). Your accommodation contract will not be cancelled unless you withdraw from your course or you find an acceptable student replacement for your room.

If you find a student who is willing to take on your accommodation contract then you must liaise with Warwick Accommodation. The University must check that the replacement student is eligible and suitable to take on your contract in residential halls. To advertise your room or find out more information please contact Warwick Accommodation - accommodation at warwick dot ac dot uk.

If you intend to leave campus before the end of your contract please let Warwick Accommodation and your Residential Life Team know.

If you are withdrawing from the University then you need to let Warwick Accommodation know when you hand back your keys. It is important that you hand your keys in so that Warwick Accommodation knows when you have left campus.