Coronavirus (Covid-19): Latest updates and information
Skip to main content Skip to navigation


These are the guidelines which enable our communities to live successfully together. If you are found in breach of any of these rules then you may go through a disciplinary process. The framework for discipline can be found under the regulations part of this website. It is important you familiarise yourself with these.

Information about expected behaviours in halls during COVID-19

The University has introduced some rules that apply in residential halls to help keep the community of students and staff (including your local Residential Life Team) safe during COVID-19. You may see some of these rules repeated in the list below. These rules may go beyond what is being recommended by the UK Government however, they are should be clear and help promote the health, safety and wellbeing of all.

Once you arrive into your residential hall you will have the opportunity to meet with your kitchen group. In the majority of cases the kitchen group becomes your new "household" group. In some residential halls - due to shared bathrooms or communal spaces (such as hallways, stairwells and access routes) - household groups may be one or more kitchen groups. It is important that whilst you are inside residential halls you only mix with other students in your household group. Kitchen groups are not allowed to mix in residential halls. This helps to minimise contact between larger numbers of individuals to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19. This rule will be relaxed for Christmas household bubbles only - see below.

In order to minimise contact with others you are not allowed to have guests or visitors back to residential halls. This includes other students who are not part of your kitchen group. If you wish to meet with friends, family or other students then you need to make arrangements to meet them outside of residential halls. This rule will be relaxed for Christmas household bubbles only - see below.

When you are moving through the residences communal areas outside of your kitchen group then you need to wear a face covering. You don't need to wear a face covering if you are in your student "flat" i.e. if you are moving between your study bedroom and kitchen. It is important that you keep a face covering nearby in case you need to wear it in an emergency - such as leaving the building during a fire alarm.

Please help support Residential Life, Campus Cleaning Services and the Estates maintenance teams by staying in your room or kitchen if they are working or visiting your flat. They may ask you to comply with social distancing measures. Here in the UK this may be a request to:

  • step back or away in order to maintain a 2 metres distance
  • wear a face covering
  • return to your study bedroom and wait

You may have an area in your residential hall that has been designated a study space. There will be signage that indicates the maximum number of people who may stay for any period of time within the space. You must observe the limits and maintain social distancing.

Should you need to self-isolate because:

  • you are unwell and have taken - or are about to take - a COVID-19 test
  • are in a household group where someone has taken a COVID-19 test
  • you have been contacted by Test and Trace because you have come into contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19
  • you have arrived from a country which doesn't have an approved travel corridor with the UK Government

then you need to follow the University's self-isolation guidelines based on UK Government advice at the time. The University has advice specific for self-isolation in student residences in Life in Halls.

Go to top

Impact of COVID-19 tier restrictions in residences

Please be advised - this guidance has been updated to reflect the changes introduced by the UK Government from Wednesday 6th January 2021. In line with the rest of England the University is currently in lockdown.

In addition to the guidance about expected behaviours in halls introduced by the University (see above), if you are on campus then you must not leave residences except:

  • to shop for essential supplies such as food, medicine, etc
  • for medical appointments and medical emergencies
  • to have a COVID-19 test
  • to exercise once a day (not for recreational or social purposes)
  • to visit the Library to collect books to support your online study using their click & collect service

Exercising and meeting others

You should minimise the time spent outside of residences.

It is against the law to meet socially with friends or family unless they are part of your residential household bubble.

You can only leave residences to exercise once a day. The reason must be exercise - not recreation or leisure i.e. a social meeting, sitting outside on a bench, picnic, etc,. You can undertake exercise outdoors on campus:

  • on your own
  • with one other person from another household bubble in a socially distant manner i.e. just the two of you
  • with others from your household group

When you are around others outdoors then it is important that you maintain 2 metres social distance from those outside of your household group.

Go to top

Noise in residences

The most common complaint when staying in campus accommodation is noise. Excessive noise at any time of day causes nuisance and can disturb others studying. One antisocial person can disturb the whole residence. Slamming doors, talking and laughing can be extremely irritating to someone trying to work or sleep. Disturbances such as persistently turning up your music, shouting or using your mobile phone during the night can cause annoyance and distress.

Please keep the volume of computers, televisions and music equipment down at all times.

Noise that can be heard outside of your study bedroom is not acceptable.

Quiet hours for halls which includes study bedrooms, kitchens and common areas are between midnight and 8.00am. The concept of quiet hours does not mean that it is acceptable to make excessive noise in the remaining parts of the residences.

There will be times during the academic year (such as the exam period) when it is important that the rules around noise are obeyed at all times. This means that the quiet hours may be extended. The local Residential Life Team will communicate these quiet periods to residents.

Returning to halls after a night out or playing games in the area immediately outside can also create disturbance. Please be considerate when returning to halls and keep outdoor activities confined to the playing fields or grassed areas away from residences.

If you are being annoyed by noise, speak to the offender politely. If they do not respond positively you should raise the matter with the Residential Life Team who may take disciplinary action for excessive noise or disturbance. Noisy individuals or groups will not be tolerated and students who persistently make noise may be required to transfer rooms or even leave residences.

Go to top

Musical instruments

You are not allowed to play a musical instrument in your study bedroom if it can be heard outside your study bedroom door when the door is closed at any time during the day. You may play keyboard and electrical instruments if you are able to use headphones to play them and they are silent in your study bedroom.

If you play a musical instrument, please use the practice rooms available in Warwick Arts Centre and Westwood, as the residences are not a suitable place to play instruments.

Go to top

Parties and gatherings in halls of residence

At present due to social distancing restrictions from the UK Government, parties or gatherings in residential halls are not allowed. This situation will be reviewed as the UK Government assesses risk levels and eases social distancing measures.

Going forward, if the University lifts the ban on gatherings and parties in residential halls, you may then wish to hold a party or gathering. These events can impact on your fellow residents and hall community and so in order to minimise disruption, parties and gatherings may only be held at weekends and must end by midnight. There are also restrictions on parties in the summer term since exams can be timetabled at weekends. Written permission must be obtained from a member of the Residential Life Team and someone needs to be responsible for visitors and clearing up after.

Outdoor gatherings in the vicinity of residences need prior approval. This includes the use of any local barbeque sites. The request to hold such outdoor events can be found on the Campus Security website. The reason to control such events is for the health and safety of students, staff and visitors to campus.

Go to top


Smoking or vaping, including electronic cigarettes and vaporizers is not permitted in any University building. In line with the University's commitment to provide a safe and healthy environment for staff and students there is a total ban on smoking/vaping in all student residences. This includes study bedrooms.

You may smoke/vape outside your residence, however, you should be more than 3 metres away from building entrances or windows where smoke may drift in. Some residences have a smoking area outside away from the block. Please be aware that cigarette smoke may be unpleasant for non smokers and if you wish to smoke stay well away from the blocks. You may be asked to smoke further away than the 3 metres limit if the smoke is drifting back through windows and doors and creating a nuisance.

The use of electronic cigarettes is prohibited wherever smoking is prohibited. Cigarette waste should be disposed of properly and considerately in a safe manner.

Students found smoking in or near residences will be fined.

Go to top

Visitors and guests

At present in order to support the UK Government with social distancing measures, no visitors or overnight guests are allowed in residential halls. Visitors and guests include friends, family and other students from outside your kitchen group.

When the restrictions are lifted then you are responsible for the behaviour of your visitors or guests in halls. Visitors are people who drop by to see you and leave before the midnight curfew. Guests are people who wish to stay with you overnight. Guests and visitors include friends, other students, family, etc. Anyone you have invited to come into residential halls.

Having guests to stay is a privilege - not a right. Should there be an issue which requires disciplinary action then one of the potential sanctions is to suspend your privilege to have guests.

Once the restrictions on visitors and guests are lifted by the University then the usual visiting hours in residences will be reinstated. This is nominally 09.00 to 00.00 hours (midnight) and, although not rigidly enforced, visitors who are being a nuisance will be required to leave, as well as being subject to the normal regulations of the University.

No other person is allowed to occupy your room overnight (whether you are present or absent) without explicit permission from a member of the Residential Life Team. Domestic assistants are required to report cases of doubtful occupancies and extended absences.

When restrictions are lifted, guests may be allowed to stay for two nights over a weekend, provided the following guidelines are adhered to:

  • Overnight guests must be reported to the Residential Life Team
  • Students are only allowed one guest at a time. Therefore, no more than two persons should occupy a room overnight
  • Strict two night limit for guest occupancies
  • Lending your room keys/key cards to anyone is strictly prohibited
  • Children may not stay at any time
  • You make your guests aware of emergency evacuation arrangements

Failure to comply with any of these guidelines will result in disciplinary action. You are personally responsible for the conduct of your guests and visitors (members of the University or others) and for any damage or nuisance they cause.

Go to top


You are responsible for the access to your room and are the named person undertaking the accommodation contract for that room. Subletting is not allowed. This means that you need to take care of your key card and are responsible for any visitors or guests you invite into residential halls.

Go to top

Door locks and keys

No door lock may be changed, modified or added except by authority of the Warden. You are responsible for your key fob / keys and may not hand them over to another individual so that they may use your room.

Go to top

Use of rooms

Rooms may be used only as private living accommodation and for purposes of study. You are not permitted to run any form of a business from your campus accommodation.

Go to top

Restricted areas

Please do not go into linen rooms or the Campus Cleaning Services Team rooms. Gaining access to the service areas, roof voids and roof areas is prohibited and disciplinary action will be taken.

Go to top

Food thefts

Residents should be on their guard against theft from kitchens, particularly fridges and freezers. Thefts of this nature can seriously and permanently damage community relationships. Kitchen security is the responsibility of each kitchen community. It is recommended that you lock your kitchen and mark your food items particularly if they are more expensive or not bought jointly for sharing. In the past, food thieves have been removed from the University residences.

Go to top

Bicycles and trolleys

Bicycles and trolleys must not be taken into the residences. If they are found inside residences they will be removed.

You are responsible for securing your bicycle and the University does not accept liability should it be lost or stolen. Please secure bicycles outside using anchor points. D-locks can be obtained from the Campus Security Control Centre.

For help purchasing bikes and equipment or for information about bike maintenance please see the Estates Office website.

Shopping trolleys are not allowed in halls or in the vicinity of halls. You are not permitted to bring shopping trolleys on to campus. Trolleys can block important access routes and create issues for the health and safety of the campus community.

Go to top

Candles and flames

Do not use candles, oil burners, fireworks, joss sticks, live coals, shishas, hookahs, flammable liquids and gases etc. as they are a potential source of fire, can endanger life and cause damage to your possessions and University property. You may have a candle(s) for decorative purposes however the wick must be clean and the candle(s) not used.

The lighting of fires, use of barbeques in non-designated sites, lighting decorative candles or oil lamps and the setting-off of decorative lanterns which use a naked flame, is not permitted on University grounds.

Go to top

Dangerous and prohibited items

It is a disciplinary offence for any student, without approval from the Warden, or other authority, to have in their possession or control on campus:

  • An offensive weapon
  • Any item capable of causing injury or adapted to cause injury
  • Store dangerous items

This includes some types of hunting knives, flick knives, CS gas, air weapons, firearms, imitation firearms or anything that has the appearance of being a firearm. Laser pens, or similar items, are also banned from residences.

Where a weapon or an article capable of causing injury or being adapted for that purpose is required to be kept in a student's room within a University owned or managed residence, for the purpose of engaging within a recognised sporting activity, it will be the responsibility of the student concerned to make this known in writing to the Warden of the residence concerned, clarifying how the item(s) will be secured when not in legitimate use and ensuring that written permission is received in return; a copy of such permission being forwarded to the Campus Security Manager.

The University does not permit the use (or storage) of fireworks, similar pyrotechnics or the release of sky lanterns on University grounds or within University residences (unless part of a centrally organised event where appropriate permission has been obtained).

The storage of nitrous oxide canisters in halls is also prohibited on safety grounds.

Go to top

Walls, doors and ceilings

Do not affix any items such as posters, timetables etc. to walls, doors or ceilings within your residence (other than on notice boards provided). Do not stick LED lighting strips directly to the walls and paintwork using the adhesive backing. Any damage to paintwork will be charged to you.

Go to top


With regard to festivals and celebrations: students are allowed to decorate residences as long as the decorations are not obstructive to the general function of the residences, do not obstruct fire safety equipment and exits and are not readily combustible i.e. paper chains across kitchen ceilings. Please use LED type lights and ensure that they are not left unattended or left on overnight. Please remove decorations at the end of the celebration or at the end of term. Please do not use spray imitation snow in residences.

Go to top

Notices and flags in windows

In order for the residences to retain a pleasant and harmonious appearance for all students, please do not display flags, posters, notices, etc. in or from the window of the residences. Exceptions can be made during events of significant importance such as student elections and international events such as World Cup Football.

Go to top

Wiring and additional electrical equipment

Electrical appliances may be operated only from the fixed power points provided. Students may not install any additional electrical wiring, computer cabling, television receivers or telephones.

No additional space heating appliance may be used without permission from the local Residential Life Team. Cooking and other domestic appliances such as fans, microwaves, toasters, kettles, beverage makers, rice cookers, deep fat fryers, humidifiers, fridges and freezers may constitute fire hazards and as such are not allowed in study bedrooms without prior approval of the Residential Life Team.

Study bedrooms are designed to be used with a limited range of electrical equipment such as laptops, hairdryers, mobile phone charges etc. You may be asked to remove and take home electrical items if they are deemed unsafe or inappropriate for use in a study bedroom.

Go to top

Animals and pets

Pets or other animals are not allowed in University residences, unless prior permission is sought with regards to animals that assist a person with disabilities.

Go to top

Motorbikes and cycling near halls

Motorbikes may not be parked next to halls or secured to bike racks next to halls. This minimises noise disruption and nuisance to residents.

We also ask that you walk with your bikes when near to halls. This reduces accidents.

Skateboards, roller blades, scooters (including motorised scooters), etc are also not allowed in the vicinity of halls.

Go to top


The flying of drones in or around the vicinity of residences is prohibited. This is for the safety and privacy of residents.

Go to top