Coronavirus (Covid-19): Latest updates and information
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

About your room

The Student Accommodation Code

The University has signed-up to the UUK Student Accommodation Code. The code outlines everything you should expect from University accommodation - as well as your responsibilities as a tenant. The code covers 6 key areas including:

  • the formal, contractual relationship with your landlord
  • a healthy safe environment
  • a clean, pleasant living environment
  • timely repairs and maintenance
  • access to health and wellbeing services
  • a living environment free from anti-social behaviour

Go to top

Room allocations

Student accommodation is allocated by the Residential Life Warden. The Warden assigns students to a specified room in a residence. Students must comply with the decision of the Warden regarding the allocation of rooms. The Warden shall have the right to change the room allocation at their discretion - at any time - as they think fit.

Go to top

Period of residence

Your accommodation fees entitle you to occupy your room from the first day of the contract, until 10.00 hours on the last day of the letting period. Please cooperate with the domestic staff by vacating your room promptly and leaving it in a clean and tidy condition. You need to remove all cooking utensils from the kitchen and dispose of old/unwanted food and other debris in the plastic bin bags provided, ensuring that you recycle where you can. Any items left behind at the end of a letting period will be disposed of.

Go to top

Room changes and transfers

At present there is very limited scope for room transfers. This is due to COVID-19 safety measures and the need to keep changes to kitchen (household) groups to a minimum.

If there are welfare needs, then all room changes must be approved by the Residential Life Team. There will be an administrative fee of £35 (this charge remains at the same level as the 2019-20 academic year). This additional administration fee reflects the cost of processing the room transfer and the subsequent collection of payment.

Looking forward - if the COVID-19 measures are lifted - and you want to transfer to another room you should contact a member of the Residential Life Team.

Transferring within your Hall

If the Residential Life Team believe you should be permitted to move they will contact the Warden to confirm the change. You will then need to liaise with Warwick Accommodation to complete the paperwork to update your accommodation contract.

Transferring to another Hall

If there are no suitable rooms available in your hall or you wish to transfer to another University hall of residence you must apply directly to Warwick Accommodation. If there are no vacant rooms in the hall where you wish to transfer then you may need to wait for a suitable vacancy.

You are not permitted to make your own arrangements and swap rooms without the prior agreement of Warwick Accommodation. Unauthorised room transfers will incur a financial penalty and/or disciplinary action.

Go to top

Paying your accommodation fees

Accommodation fees are due at the start of each term and can be paid in a variety of ways. Full details on how to pay your accommodation fees can be found on the Student Finance site. Please note that when a payment is overdue, late payment penalties may apply.

Go to top

Arrival inventory

Your room should be of a satisfactory standard when you arrive. Please take time to complete your room inventory online and draw attention to any defects, spillages, marks etc. that date back to before your arrival. Please note that you will be charged for any damages that occur after you have moved in.

Go to top

Furniture and fittings

Please do not remove furniture or any other University property from your room or residence - you will be responsible and subsequently charged for loss or damage. Also, please do not bring additional furniture into campus residences. If bedroom furniture is rearranged, please allow access for cleaning of the window area and return the room to the original position at the end of the letting period.

Please do not place anything on ceiling lights; this will prevent heat from escaping, potentially causing a fire and the consequent damage. Please do not deactivate the safety restrictors on your windows and do not exit or enter your room from the windows. Burns, spillages and other damage to carpets or fittings will incur a charge for cleaning or replacement.

Go to top


The University supplies duvets, pillows and bed linen but you will be responsible for making your own bed. Do not remove mattresses from the beds. If you prefer to use your own bedding, please place University bedding in clear bags (available from Domestic Assistants) and store in your cupboards. Please do not take University bedding and furniture outside of the residences e.g. for sunbathing.

Go to top

Electrical equipment and voltage difference in the UK

All of the electrical equipment provided by the University is fitted with a plug that has a fuse. If you intend to use your own equipment, which was not originally designed for use in the UK, then you will need to use an adaptor with a fuse.

You need to check the labels on your electrical equipment to see how much power they use in watts. The label will have numbers followed by "w". For electrical equipment/appliances rated:

  • up to 700w - you will need an adaptor with a 3 amp fuse
  • between 700w and 1,000w - you will need an adaptor with a 5 amp fuse
  • between 1,000w and 2,300w - you will need an adaptor with a 10 amp fuse
  • over 2,300w - you will need an adaptor with a 13 amp fuse

Electrical safety is very important to the University. If an item is considered to be unsafe then the University will unplug and remove the equipment bringing the issue to your attention. This will enable you to make the equipment safe using an appropriately fused adaptor. It is important that you check that your plugs, equipment power ratings and your adaptors have the relevant fuses.

Go to top


The heating systems are controlled centrally by the University to achieve a room temperature of 18°C to 21°C. Please do not use heating appliances other than those provided by the University. In many residences, you can use the numbered radiator valve to adjust the temperature. If you have a radiator valve, please turn this down before opening the window to cool your room. Due to the age and variety of our residential halls, the times when buildings are heated may vary. Not just throughout the day, but throughout the year in response to the changing seasons.

Go to top


The cold water supply is drinkable and the cold water taps in your room or bathroom area is suitable for cleaning your teeth.

The hot water supply is heated to a minimum of 60°C. Please be careful when using hot water.

Go to top


Please be sure you keep your room well ventilated to reduce the risk of damp, condensation and mould. To do this, open windows and do not dry clothes on radiators.

Go to top

Domestic appliances

Household cooking and other domestic appliances that you purchase yourself - such as microwaves, toasters, kettles, heating units, washing machines, fridges and freezers are not allowed in halls. They are provided for you by the University.

Other household cooking and other domestic appliances that you purchase yourself - such as beverage makers (e.g. coffee machines), deep fat fryers, humidifiers, heating units, electric fans, dishwashers, additional fridges and freezers are not allowed in halls.

You may bring rice cookers and your own iron. You are not allowed to use any electrical items for cooking, heating your room or heating water in your study bedroom. Domestic assistants will remove any electrical item which may be damaged or considered dangerous.

If you need a fridge in your study bedroom for medical reasons then the University would need a supporting medical certificate. Please contact Warwick Accommodation prior to your arrival or, if already on campus, talk to a member of your Residential Life Team.

Go to top


In order to help the University to keep rents as low as possible and to help the environment, please turn off unwanted lights and other electrical appliances.

Go to top


If you want to bring a television to University or watch live television on a laptop/computer, tablet or mobile phone you will need to purchase a TV licence. If you are a student in Felden then there is a television provided in your study bedroom. You do not need to purchase a television licence to watch this television however, you will need a licence if you wish to watch TV on your laptop or mobile device elsewhere on campus.

Go to top


You will need to do your own laundry. There are a number of launderettes provided for student use close to halls and around the campus. If you are living in Rootes and Whitefields then the laundrette service is provided by Circuit Laundry. The other laundrettes on campus are serviced by WashPoint and these machines automatically add washing detergent and fabric conditioner to your wash so you don't need to buy any. You can find more information about the detergent and fabric conditioner from WashPoint. The machine loads in the laundrettes may be larger than a domestic machine which means that washes use less energy.

Go to top

Access to your room

University staff may require access to your room for viewing, inspection, maintenance and repairs and emergencies. Additionally, Campus Security and the Residential Life Team may enter your room to search for illegal drugs and/or prohibited items. All holders of pass keys are authorised to enter a room if, having knocked on the door, there is no reply.

Go to top


No person may occupy or share the occupation or live in any room or premises unless specifically authorised by the University. No residents may have extra people living in their rooms, nor may they sublet, or let someone stay overnight without explicit permission from a member of the Residential Life Team. You must not hand your keys over for someone to use your room in your absence. At present you are not allowed to have guests or visitors back to your residential hall.

Go to top


A student shall immediately report to both the Campus Cleaning Services Manager and the member of the Residential Life Team responsible for the area any damage to or loss of property, fixtures, fittings or furnishings. You are responsible for your study bedroom and the communal areas you use such as the kitchen and local corridor.

Where such damage or loss is attributable to, or the responsibility of a student, they will be required to pay a fair and reasonable proportion of the cost of repairing the damage or reinstating the loss including an administration fee. Damage charges are included under Regulation 27, section 3.1.3 and are included as a clause in the campus accommodation contract (clause 1.10).

If a significant amount of damage has been incurred then this may be referred through the University's disciplinary processes under Regulation 23. Where damage or loss occurs and cannot be attributed directly to an individual student the Warden may hold responsible the group of students living in the area. Each damage charge will include an administration fee for each student billed for damage or loss. The administration fee per student is £25 (this charge remains at the same level as the 2019-20 academic year). This additional administration fee reflects the cost of processing the damage charge and collection of payment.

Go to top


Basic personal property insurance is included in your rent. Details of the insurance cover are available on the Student Accommodation website.

Go to top


Below is an example of a student address on main campus:

Mr A Smith
Residence name, block number, flat number, room number
University of Warwick

If possible it is helpful to include your student ID number along with your name. This helps the Student Post Room should the address be incomplete e.g. Mr A Smith (2012345)

If you have any post it will be delivered to your residences on the day that it arrives. Parcels are not delivered to residences, instead you will receive a notification email and will need to take the reference in the email to the Student Post Room (located on the Westwood campus) to collect your parcel. For further information regarding post at Warwick, please visit the Post Room website.

Go to top

Departure before end of your accommodation contract

Your accommodation contract lasts for the full duration stated in your contract - even if you move out of your room early (refer to section 4 of your contract). Your accommodation contract will not be cancelled unless you withdraw from your course or you find an acceptable student replacement for your room.

If you find a student who is willing to take on your accommodation contract then you must liaise with Warwick Accommodation. The University must check that the replacement student is eligible and suitable to take on your contract in residential halls. To advertise your room or find out more information please contact Warwick Accommodation - accommodation at warwick dot ac dot uk.

If you intend to leave campus before the end of your contract please let Warwick Accommodation and your Residential Life Team know.

If you are withdrawing from the University then you need to let Warwick Accommodation know when you hand back your keys. It is important that you hand your keys in so that Warwick Accommodation knows when you have left campus.

Go to top