‘Hot and hearty’ offer moving
Since the beginning of January, NAIC Café has been serving simple, hot food every week day from 5 – 6.30pm.
The hot food offer has been well received by staff and students and in response to feedback about a central location, the offer will be moving to Rootes Grocery Store. From Monday 17 February the dishes will be available 4.30 – 6pm in the ‘hot eats’ section in store. Same great price at £3.00 per portion, same ‘home comfort favourites’ with a vegetarian and meat dish available every day.
Important changes to newspaper and online ordering
As part of a wider CCSG sustainability strategy, Rootes Grocery Store is launching a new online ordering and delivery service in January 2020 which will be more efficient, cost effective and sustainable. This is what you can expect:
- A new online form for food, drink and newspapers to replace email and phone orders. The online order form will enable us to fulfil orders more efficiently whilst helping to reduce congestion and pollution around campus. Deliveries will only be made between 10am – 12pm and 2 – 3pm. If there are any items you require that are not listed on the online form please visit Rootes Grocery Store.
- There will be a £5.00 delivery charge for every online order. You will be asked to pay the delivery charge in advance (either with a costcode or a department charge card) which is non-refundable. This will enable us to deliver a more sustainable service reducing vehicles on campus during rush hour and peak times.
We’re confident the new service will continue to offer you an easy and convenient shopping experience. Rootes Grocery Store is open seven days a week if you would prefer to pop in and buy your food, drink or newspapers.
Exciting changes to enhance shopping and eating and drinking experience on campus
Warwick Retail is delighted to announce the opening of a new café, pop-up bookshop and upgraded tills in Rootes Grocery Store.
‘Aroma’ by the Nero Roasting Company will open on Westwood Campus on Monday 16 September and will serve espresso based coffee and deli-style unwrapped sandwiches which include vegan, gluten free and organic options. Customers can also take advantage of Aroma’s loyalty scheme which offers a free coffee with any food purchase and a 4th free drink.
Premium European coffee house, Caffè Nero, opened at the Sports and Wellness Hub on 5 August and serves espresso based speciality coffee, a premium Deli food range including salads, Italian deli sandwiches and an extensive vegetarian and vegan range.
As Aroma and Caffè Nero both operate their own loyalty schemes, the Eating at Warwick and University Charge cards cannot be used in these outlets. Further details on the Retail website including opening times
Following the closure of the Bookshop on 24 July, the University’s online academic book service and pop-up bookshop is now operated by Blackwell’s, the UK’s largest academic bookseller. Blackwell’s pop-up bookshop will open for five weeks in Warwick Arts Centre from 23 September – 25 October supplying students with all the books they need for term 1. You can find out more about our partnership with Blackwell’s and details of the benefits you can enjoy.
As part of Warwick Retail’s plan to enhance and improve customers’ shopping and experience, Rootes Grocery Store now boasts 15 checkouts, 12 of which are self-service (an increase of 6 self-service tills). The new tills accept debit and credit cards, Contactless, Android and Apple Pay.
Work has also started on a new Pret a Manger outlet coming soon to the centre of campus – more information and an opening date to follow.
Food donation collection point
Rootes Grocery Store has set up a food donation drop off point at the front of the store and is working in partnership with the Students' Union and Coventry Foodbank to collect food items to help local people in crisis. If you have any unopened and non perishable food items that you would like to donate, please drop them off at the store. The items will be collected weekly by the Students' Union and delivered to Coventry Foodbank.
There were smiles and congratulations all round last night at the prestigious Retail Industry Awards ceremony in London.
Rootes Grocery Store won the World Food Retailer of the Year award and received Highly Commended in the Food to Go Retailer of the Year category.
Food, drink and shopping offers during the Welcome to Warwick programme
During the Welcome to Warwick programme we're extending some of our outlet opening times and putting on some exciting food and drink offers:
- Barista experience – Wednesday 27 September, 10.00am-3.00pm outside the Cinema foyer. Come and meet our baristas and sample some great tasting coffee.
- Claim a free filter coffee or tea from Café Bar for the first two weeks of term with any purchase from the Bookshop. Simply keep your till receipt as proof as purchase and present to the Café Bar team.
- Mini street food market - on the Piazza Wednesday 27 September 11.00am-3.00pm
- WBS street food offer – we’ll be serving street food in the cafe 2.15pm-7.00pm on Thursday 28 September.
- Love doughnuts? Krispy Kremes now on sale at Rootes Grocery Store!
- Extended opening hours on Friday 29 September - hot food being served at University House restaurant in two sittings - 9.00am-2.00pm and 4.00-6.00pm.
The University's campus convenience store has been shortlisted for two awards by the Retail Industry Awards.
We know that rootes grocery store can be extremely busy at certain times, particularly between 12-2pm when everyone breaks for lunch. Having listened to customers and as part of our commitment to improving customers' shopping experience in the store, we have now installed six self-service tills.