|Chair||Dr D. Ellard (WMS)|
|Academic Members||Dr. D. Biggerstaff (WMS); Dr. S. Birrell (WMG); Dr. T. Carey (WMG); Dr G. Chouhan (WMS Dentistry); Dr. J. A. Covington (Engineering); Dr. N. Parsons (WMS); Dr L. Williams (SLS).|
|Expert Members (internal to the University)||C. Daffern (WMS CTU); M. Gane (R&IS); D. Greer (R&IS); R. Green (R&IS); Dr. H. Lawler (Library), N. Stockton (WMS Governance).|
|Expert Members (external to the University)||S. Kandola (UHCW).|
|Lay Member (external to the University)||P. Hamilton (HRA).|
|Student member||F. Allen (WMG).|
|Secretary||E. Dight, Research Support Officer- Ethics & Governance, R&IS. Tel: 73961, email: e dot c dot dight at warwick dot ac dot uk (Please e-mail all enquiries to bsrec at warwick dot ac dot uk in the first instance, thank you.)|
- The Committee derives its authority from the overarching University Research Governance and Ethics Committee.
- Ensure that all non-NHS Faculty of Medicine and Faculty of Science (excluding Psychology) research and related studies that involve human participants, their data, or tissue is conducted according to the highest ethical standards, and in line with relevant legislation and guidance concerning ethical approval.
- Monitor and discuss any problems arising from non-University ethics committee processes.
- Approve applications from Faculty of Medicine and Faculty of Science (excluding Psychology) staff and students for studies that involve human participants, their data, or their tissue.
- Co-opt additional members whose particular expertise is required for certain proposals.
- Ensure that all Faculty of Medicine and Faculty of Science (excluding Psychology) researchers, whether staff or students, are aware that they must submit an application to carry out research and related activities with human participants to an appropriate research ethics committee.
- Work with other relevant research ethics committees to resolve any non-routine issues arising from Faculty of Medicine or Faculty of Science (excluding Psychology) applications.
- Report regularly to the University Research Governance and Ethics Committee.
- Chair's Action may:
- Determine whether or not an application falls within the remit of the committee
- Confirm the approval of conditionally approved protocols when the conditions have been met
- In conjunction with the BSREC Secretary, or two other members of the Committee, review research applications outside of standard BSREC processes where time/funding constraints apply.
- All papers and submissions to the Committee kept confidential.
- A quorum of one third of members is required to approve Committee decisions.
- Membership of the Committee is reviewed on an annual basis.