Network Replacement and Security Programme (NRSP): Project Umbrella
We recently introduced a security product called Cisco Umbrella to provide an additional layer of security protection for users with University-managed Windows devices connecting to our network whilst working remotely - including from home.
How does Umbrella work?
Umbrella is a threat-mitigation tool - which means it checks for malicious web sites – such as malware, ransomware and phishing sites – and blocks access to any that appear to be potential threats. The resource is maintained and updated by Cisco, globally 24/7, and attempts to access suspected sites are redirected to a warning holding page, effectively blocking any malicious content. This helps protect the University’s data network from cyber threats.
This is good news!
We deployed the Umbrella product to all managed devices via the VPN earlier this summer and since then, 2000 University devices have installed the security tool, allowing a significant number of users to benefit from this increased protection while working remotely.
The alerts produced through Umbrella are very useful in providing greater visibility and identification of threats and allow the detection of new malware and phishing campaigns to help us to prevent cyber attacks.
Other benefits include -
- Greater protection of personal/sensitive data while working on University devices.
- A higher level of confidence that data is secure.
For the University:
- Decreased time spent identifying the causes and sources of attacks due to Umbrella's automated incident-response process.
- Supporting the University’s strategic requirements for a highly secure network in order to protect devices and users from cyber-criminal activity and malicious attacks.
- Positive reassurance that the University has robust internet security.
- More information about Project Umbrella can be found here.
Following the successful implementation of the Umbrella security tool on University-managed devices while working remotely, more information will follow as the project is extended - including how Umbrella’s enhanced protection will be provided, by default, to all staff devices connecting to our network whilst on campus.
Security & Information Management is Everyone's Responsibility
How to get help
If you think you detect any unusual online activity, please report it immediately.
Who needs to know this?
This information concerns us all. If you use a Warwick staff card, a Warwick email address, access one of our staff or student record systems or share your Warwick work with colleagues within or beyond the University, you are involved in activities that must be kept secure.
Data Protection Officerdpo@warwick.ac.uk
The University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 8UW