Thesis Writing Groups
Offers regular meetings for postgraduate research students in a structured environment to write, share experiences and writing advice in groups of six.
Academic Writing Series
A yearly course starting in November and ending in July.
As the standard of academic writing is most advanced at postgraduate research level, you should be able to:
- critically engage with material at expert level;
- produce complex, analytical arguments;
- make substantial contribution to knowledge through your research.
Here, your writing ability needs to access aspects of
- grammatical versatility
- detail emphasis
- lexical fluency
Its result should be a written product which investigates specific topics in a manner aimed towards discovery and, essentially, education of readership.
This series of practical talks and workshops covers the intricacies of writing required in an academic research-level context. It addresses all students of all disciplines.
Workshops in the series:
“…when I was writing my PhD – a real shot in the arm”
Dr Deborah Biggerstaff, Health Sciences, Warwick Medical School
- Craswell, G. 2004. Writing for Academic Success. Sage Publications.
- Gillett, A. 2009. Inside Track to Successful Academic Writing. Pearson.
- Murray, N. 2012. Writing Essays in English Language and Linguistics. Cambridge University Press.
- Murray, R. Thomas, 2008. Theses and Dissertations: A Guide to Planning, Research, and Writing, Corwin Press.
- Creme, P. and M. Lea, 2008. Writing at University: A guide for students. Open University Press.
- Hamp-Lyons, L. and Heasley, B. 2006. Study Writing. Cambridge University Press.
- Oshima, A. & Hogue, A. 2005. Writing Academic English. Addison-Wesley, New York.
- Swales, J.and C. Feak. 2012. Academic Writing for Graduate Students: Essential Skills and Tasks. Michigan University Press.
Writing Consultations for PGRs
Starting 14 April, every Tuesday 1-5pm, via Skype for Business.
This Spring, we introduce weekly Writing Consultations for PGR’s online in support of the Academic Writing Series. If you who would like to talk specifically about the topics on this course, or, more generally, academic writing, then please book a 20-minute Skype appointment via myAdvantage.