Essential workshop for final year doctoral students
Interested in strategies to help you cope with the pressures and submit a successful thesis on time?
Want some support to plan your year ahead and beyond?
This short workshop will offer an insight into what you can expect from this year and constructive, practical advice on how to succeed, based on the past experiences of PhD students and supervisor. We know that thinking ahead to what comes next can be stressful and time-consuming, so one of our Careers team will also provide some brief practical advice on preparing for life beyond the PhD.
There will be an optional follow-on session (25 minutes) where we will guide you through a review process enabling you to focus on a challenge facing you in the year to come (don’t worry you don’t have to share!) and come up with a practical, realistic plan to overcome it.
The workshop is jointly delivered by the Graduate School and Student Careers & Skills.
By the end of the workshop you will:
- explored tips to help you manage challenges including procrastination, perfectionism and competing demands
- spent some time on planning and considering how to keep on track
- have an idea of who is likely to make up your panel
- had an opportunity to ask questions of people who’ve been there
- gained some brief practical advice on preparing for your career step.
Workshop details to be confirmed
Who is it for? PhD students early in their final year (or part-time equivalent).
Is any preparation required? No
Is catering provided? No
Who is the tutor? Dr Emma Smith & Graduate School