Is the Buddy Scheme suitable for me?
Our Buddy Scheme is aimed at those who are new or returning to physical activity so if that's you then yes. There's no need to worry about fitness levels or ability as everyone will be encouraged to take part at their own pace.
How can getting active help me?
Getting active had loads of proven benefits for our physical and mental health, including:
- Weight management
- Reducing the risk of developing several chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease, type II diabetes, cancer and osteoporosis
- Helpful in managing symptoms of depression and anxiety
- Related to overall positive wellbeing
- Increased perception of social support and belonging
- Release of endorphins and the feel-good factor
- Inherent enjoyment of an activity, socialising and the opportunity to escape the demands of day-to-day life
What can the Buddy Scheme do for you?
The Buddy Scheme offers a variety of support including:
- Guidance and support in increasing your activity levels
- Become part of a support network of individuals who are also new or returning to activity
- Help identifying motives for increasing physical activity and developing strategies to overcome barriers you may face
- Engagement in structured physical exercise through an activity of your choice
- Personalised supportive reminders and messages, and access to motivational support
- Opportunities for social engagement during and after the activity
What will I do each week?
Each course typically runs for nine weeks with eight activity sessions (doing the sport) and two workshops (social introductory and review sessions). This means in either week one or week eight you will do both an activity session and a workshop - check the invidual course times for details.
- Week 1 - introductory social session to meet others, ask questions and discuss strategies to overcome barriers you may face, there will be tea, coffe and snacks provided.
- Weeks 2 to 8 - the group will meet 15 minutes before the activity (for those who are able), after each session you are invited for a drink and chat at Café Bar in the Arts Centre.
- Week 9 - the group will come together to reflect on and celebrate your successes, and plan how you will continue to be active.
What if there isn’t an activity I want to do?
No worries, let us know what you'd like to do. We offer different sports courses each term so make sure you check back next term to see what's on offer.
How can I find out more?
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact our Health and Wellbeing Coordinator Jina: J dot Tanton at warwick dot ac dot uk.