University Executive Board Gold (UEBG)
As a result of Covid-19 and the major impact the pandemic is having, the University Executive Board has established University Executive Board Gold (UEBG), the primary role of which is to oversee the strategic decisions regarding the collective institutional response and impact of Covid-19 on the University and its stakeholders, on behalf of the Senate and the Council. This is in line with the University's approved Major Incident Plan.
Silver and Bronze groups have also been established to oversee and manage tactical and operational activity. The diagram below shows the structure, membership and responsibilities of these groups. The membership and Terms of Reference for Silver and the Silver sub Groups is included below.
This is in addition to the existing governance in place across the University including University Executive Board.
The membership and terms of reference were agreed by University Executive Board (UEB) and the University Council sub group on 30 March 2020.
- Membership will rotate on a weekly basis, taken from UEB members, with a zoom call held each Monday at 2.00pm that will include the outgoing and incoming UEBG teams.
- At the end of week 4, week 1 team will be the incoming team and the order will start again.
- Quoracy is 3 members of UEB sitting on UEBG.
- Each member has a nominated first and second deputy.
- The Vice-President (National and Regional Engagement) will become a member of UEBG on an ‘if required’ basis where we need to ensure UEBG is quorate.
- Where a decision requires the input of one of the other members of the University Executive Board because a decision will affect their area of responsibility, that member of the University Executive Board will be invited to contribute to the discussion, but the decision will be made by the 3 members of UEBG who are leading that week.
- Executive Officer (Secretary), Assistant Registrar (Governance) (Assistant Secretary) and Director of Strategy - or their nominated deputies - will be in attendance at each meeting.
- Where a zoom meeting is not required, decisions will be made by email correspondence and recorded by the Secretariat.
Terms of Reference
- To approve strategic decisions regarding the collective institutional response and impact of Covid-19 on the University and its stakeholders, on behalf of the Senate and the Council.
- To be responsible for overseeing the implementation of the strategic priorities framework that the institution is to work to during the Covid-19 pandemic (in no particular order):
- Protect the health of our community
- Graduate our students
- Protect jobs
- Volunteering and helping others.
- To ensure the Silver Major Incident Team (MIT) monitors and implements advice from government regarding risk management, travel and public health, thus ensuring that the University implements the required standards of accountability and legal and regulatory compliance that are introduced in response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- To receive and monitor reports from the Silver MIT group, making major operational and allocation of resources decisions as required by the Silver and Bronze MITs, this includes performance and risk management reports.
- To provide decisions where a key risk in the Risk Register is brought to the attention of UEBG by Silver MIT.
- To advise the Council sub-group where there are significant financial and/or reputational risk(s) to the University, and for the Council sub-group to make the final decisions on such items on behalf of the Council.
- To provide active and visible leadership.
- To support the delivery of the communications plan with key stakeholders.
- To make regular reports to the Council sub-group, and other committees as required (for instance, Council, Audit & Risk Committee, Student Recruitment Strategy Group).
- To maintain an Actions and Decisions log for each day and for this to be shared with all members of the University Executive Board.
- A Covid-19 decision-making structure map for UEB Gold, Silver MIT, Bronze MIT and the Council Sub-group is shown in the diagram above.
Covid-19 Business Continuity Group (Silver)
Terms of Reference (revised 26 March 2020)
- To maintain oversight of the collective institutional response and impact of Covid-19 on the University and its stakeholders.
- To ensure the University monitors and implements advice from government regarding risk management, travel and public health.
- To receive and monitor reports from operational response and planning and sub-groups.
- To provide relevant, factual information, advice and guidance proactively and in response to concerns from students and staff.
- To assess, record, monitor and manage key risks through development of a Risk Register.
- To develop and maintain a clear communications plan with key stakeholders.
- To provide oversight, authorisation and guidance to the wider Covid-19 Business Continuity Programme and related projects/workstreams.
- To co-ordinate and maintain oversight of contingency and business continuity plans resulting from the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Through the Business Continuity programme, to formulate planning and responses through period of recovery and potential recurrence.
- To make regular reports to University Executive Board acting as Gold level, and other committees as required (for instance, University Executive Board, Audit & Risk Committee, Student Recruitment Strategy Group).
Covid-19 Operational Sub-Groups
- Estates (Chair: James Breckon)
- HR and staff (Chair: Geraldine Mills)
- ITS (Chair: Mike Roberts)
- Admissions (Chair: Delyth Chambers)
- Recruitment (Chair: Sally Smith)
- Wellbeing, Security & Accommodation (Chair: Hannah Friend)
- Research (Chair: Catherine Cochrane)
- Finance (Chair: Andrew Smith)
- Community (Chair: Ros Roke)
- Strategic Communications & co-ordination (Chair: Richard Hutchins, Laura Thompson)
- Education Executive (Chair: Chris Hughes)
Silver Membership (revised 26/03/2020)
|Chris Twine||Academic Registrar||Chair / Silver Lead|
|Geraldine Mills||Interim Director of HR||Deputy Chair / Deputy Silver Lead / Chair, HR sub-group|
|James Breckon||Director, Estates||Chair, Estates sub-group|
|Delyth Chambers||Director, SROAS||Chair, Admissions sub-group|
|Catherine Cochrane||Director, R&IS||Chair, Research sub-group|
|Jackie Clarke||Business Continuity Programme Manager|
|Hannah Friend||Director of Wellbeing & Safeguarding||Chair, Wellbeing sub-group|
|Chris Griffin||Risk & Resilience Manager|
|Noel McCarthy||Professor of Epidemiology, WMS|
|Rob Parkinson||CEO, Warwick Students’ Union|
|Ben Pithouse||Head of Risk & Resilience|
|Ros Roke||Director, Strategic Programme Delivery||Chair, Community sub-group|
|Mike Roberts||Director, IT Services||Chair, IT sub-group|
|Andrew Smith||Finance Director||Chair, Finance sub-group|
|Sally Smith||Assistant Director, SROAS||Chair, Recruitment sub-group|
|Laura Thompson||Associate Director, Communications||Deputy Chair, Silver Strategic Comms Group|
|Roberta Wooldridge-Smith||Deputy Academic Registrar||Link to Education Executive|