Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Full-time Undergraduate and 2+2 Funding - 2022 Entry

Student Finance England (SFE) provides financial support that helps with the cost of going to university.

Am I eligible for statutory support from the government?

Your eligibility for statutory financial support will depend on you fulfilling certain criteria based on:

  • Your nationality or residency status
  • Your age at the start of the course
  • Any previous study at higher education level

For details visit Student finance - GOV.UK (

Back to top

How do I pay for my tuition fees?

Tuition fees for Home students in 2022-23 are as follows:

The University may increase fees in line with any inflationary uplift as determined by the UK Government, if permitted by law or government policy, in subsequent years of your course. It is anticipated that such increases would be linked to RPI (the Retail Price Index excluding mortgage interest payments).

You can apply to SFE for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover your tuition fees. It is non-means tested, which means the amount you can receive is not based on your household income. The Loan is paid directly to the University so, if you choose to take the Loan, you won’t have to set up any payments.

If you don’t want to take out the Loan, or only want to take some of it, you can pay your tuition fees directly to the university either in full, at the start of each year, or in instalments:

  • Term 1 – 50%
  • Term 2 – 25%
  • Term 3 – 25%

You can find more information about how to pay on the Student Finance website.

Back to top

How do I pay for my living costs?

You can apply for a Maintenance Loan towards your living costs such as accommodation, food and bills. This loan is means-tested so the amount you receive is partially based on your household income and whether you choose to live at home or in student accommodation. Your household income will be taken from the 2020-21 tax year and will include your income and that of the people you live with: your parents, your parent and their partner or your partner. You don't have to provide details of your earnings from part-time work but if you have income from another source, such as investments or income from property, you will need to declare it.

In certain circumstances, you might be considered to be an independent student, for example, if you are a care leaver or estranged from your family. Contact us for further advice.

The Maintenance Loan will be paid to you in termly instalments. The rent for University accommodation is due at the start of every term so you will need to make arrangements to pay this directly. You can find information about ways to pay at

Like the Tuition Fee Loan, you can choose how much Maintenance Loan you take up to the maximum available to you.

Back to top

How much Maintenance Loan might I receive?

The following figures apply to students who are aged under 60 on the first day of the first year of their course and who do not qualify for government benefits.

If you will be aged 60 or over at the start of your course or if you qualify for government benefits, please see this page for details of maintenance support available to you.

Annual Maintenance Loan*

Income (£)

Students living away from the parental home and outside London (£)


Income (£)

Student living in parental home (£)

25,000 and below



25,000 and below



































58,220 and above


62,286 and above



*These figures are subject to government approval.

Back to top

Can I get any extra money?

If you have special circumstances you may be eligible for some extra support from the government to help with living and learning costs. This will be in the form of a grant, so you won’t have to repay this money. You can apply for:

  • Disabled Students’ Allowances if you have a disability, specific learning difficulty, a long-term health condition or mental health condition
  • Parents’ Learning Allowance and Childcare Grant if you have care of a child
  • Adult Dependants’ Grant if you have an adult that relies on you financially.

Have a look at our Grants for Dependants guide or visit Student finance - GOV.UK ( for more information.

Back to top

How do I apply for student loans and grants?

Your application for student loans is made online.

You apply to Student Finance England at Student finance - GOV.UK ( opens in a new window and if you have any questions call 0300 100 06 07. The deadline for students to apply is May 2022.

To apply you will need:

  • Details of your course and university
  • Your passport or your original birth/adoption certificate
  • Your National Insurance number
  • Your household income information

If you want to apply for the Childcare Grant, tick the box on the main application to receive further information. The Disabled Students’ Allowances can be applied for online at Student finance - GOV.UK ( opens in a new window. If you want to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan and/or Maintenance Loan, ensure you apply for this before apply for the Disabled Students' Allowances.

Back to top

How do I repay the loans and what interest will I pay?

You will start to repay your loans from the April after you graduate or leave your course and only then if your income is above a certain threshold. From 6 April 2021, the repayment threshold is £27,295. Once your income reaches the threshold, you will pay 9p for every pound you earn over it. Your repayments are taken automatically through the UK tax system so you will not need to arrange repayment unless you work overseas.

Other key facts are:

  • If your income falls below the repayment threshold, your repayments will stop automatically
  • There is no charge for early repayment, either in part or full
  • Any loan remaining after 30 years will be cancelled.

Interest, which is the cost of borrowing the money, will be added to your loan as soon as the first payment is made to you and the University. It is linked to the Retail Price Index (RPI) and will vary depending on whether you are in study and how much you earn once you finish or leave your course. You can get more information about the current interest rates at Repaying your student loan - GOV.UK (

Remember: The monthly repayments are based on earnings and not the amount borrowed

Back to top

Does the university have bursaries or scholarships?

Our Warwick Undergraduate Bursary programme offers non-repayable awards of up to £3,000 to support students with course-related costs. You can find the full eligibility criteria on our website

How much will it cost to live at Warwick?

The cost of living at Warwick will vary depending on your lifestyle choices. In a recent survey, our first-year students told us the biggest cost they have is accommodation which ranged from £85pw to £218pw for a room on campus in 2021. You can see the breakdown of the other costs in the table below:


Remember: On top of your living costs, you should budget for course expenses such as stationery, books, materials and field trips. Visit for details

Back to top

How can I manage my money at university?

Budgeting as a student can be a challenge especially as you will need to make your Maintenance Loan payment last for a term. To make it easier, try to plan your budget in advance.

To get started with budgeting why not try the Warwick Student Budget Calculator online at or download the app for free. You may prefer to download our printable budget planner.

Remember: University is a great experience so it’s ok to budget for some social activities!

Money saving tips!

We asked our students how they manage their money…

  • Work out a weekly budget so you know how much you can spend
  • Track your expenses to see where your money is going. This will help you to make your budget more realistic.
  • Try to save some money in case of emergencies
  • Think about getting a part-time job to top up your income
  • Prioritise your expenses so you don’t run out of money for important things