Skip to main content Skip to navigation

How to report a hate crime

Hate crimes or incidents can be reported by people directly affected by the behaviour, witnesses to the behaviour or by third parties who are told about an incident. The way a report is dealt with will depend on the information given.

Listed below are the main ways to report a hate crime/incident, if the person making the report does not want to involve the police (though if it is an emergency they should be encouraged to do so) then they can make a report via options: 3 (Online reporting), 4 (Third party reporting centres) or 5 (Crimestoppers).

1. In an emergency

  • Call 999 and ask for the police
  • If you are deaf, deafened, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, text phone is available on 18000
  • Only do this if it is an emergency:
    • A crime is happening right now
    • Someone is in immediate danger, or there is a risk of serious damage to property
    • A suspect for a serious crime is nearby
    • There is a traffic collision involving injury or danger to other road users.
  • If you cannot make voice calls, you can now contact the 999 emergency services by SMS text from your mobile phone. However, you will only be able to use this service if you have registered with emergency SMS first.

To register your phone:

2. Contact the police

If it is not an emergency situation and you would like to speak to the police, you can speak to them in confidence. Personal details do not need to be given, but if you choose not to give these details it may affect the ability of the police to fully investigate or prosecute the crime.

To speak to the police about a non-emergency matter:

  • Call 101
  • If you are deaf, deafened, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, text phone is available on 18001 101.

3. Online reporting

Anyone can report a hate crime using the online forms. Coventry has its own system for dealing with hate crime reporting, so for our students we need to establish where it took place, and use the appropriate method.

  • Incidents in Coventry city:
    • The City Council acts as a central point that receives all hate crime reports and then co-ordinates the initial response
    • There is oversight and follow up by a multi-agency review of active cases once a month to consider other support that may be available directly to the person making the report or resources that can be put into the area/community to reduce hate crime/incident behaviour.

  • Incidents in Warwickshire:

Warwickshire uses the standard form on the True Vision Website. Information can be found on these links:

(using the True Vision website:

4. Third party reporting centres: Warwick Students’ Union Advice Centre

Third party reporting centres are organisations in the community who can assist people to report incidents and help them get support etc.

The SU Advice Team are all trained to support people wanting to report hate crime, so if someone wants support to make a complaint about a hate crime we can help them.

5. Crimestoppers

  • If you do not want to talk to the police or fill in the reporting forms, you can still report a hate crime by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or via their website at . You do not have to give your name and what you say is confidential. It is free to call.
  • You can give us as little or as much personal information as you wish. But please note:
    • With your details... the incident can be investigated fully and you can get the service you deserve and the support you need.
    • Without your details... the report will be used for monitoring purposes to get a true vision of what is happening.

If after having read this you would like further information or support please contact the SU Advice Centre and we will do our best to help you.