Coronavirus (Covid-19): Latest updates and information
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Reporting sexual violence or abuse

If you have been raped or experienced any other kind of sexual violence or abuse, no matter where you were, what you were doing, what you were wearing, what you were saying, if you were drunk or under the influence of drugs, it was not your fault and you did not deserve this. The only person responsible for it is the perpetrator.

This webpage is designed to provide you with information about where you can get support or guidance about reporting and/or accessing support to cope with your experience. Which support services you access is entirely up to you. If you have any questions about who to contact or want support to report an incident then you can contact the Students' Union Advice Centre or Wellbeing Support Services.

Deciding whether to report

If you have experienced any form of sexual violence or abuse it is entirely up to you whether or not you choose to report it to the police or to the University. No-one else can or should make that decision for you.

Our University Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA), Charlotte Lewis, will be able to discuss reporting options with you and support you throughout the criminal justice process or University investigation. You can contact Charlotte through the CRASAC helpline on 024 7627 7777 or by email on charlotte dot lewis at crasac dot org dot uk. If you do choose to report to the police, you should try to do this as soon as possible by contacting the police directly or the Blue Sky Centre SARC as soon as you can so that forensic evidence can be collected.

Numbers in an emergency

Security (if you are on campus)
Telephone: 024 7652 2222

Police (if you are off campus)
Telephone: 999

Blue Sky Centre, Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)
Provides immediate crisis support, medical care and optional police intervention. If you are not sure whether to report, or think you might at some point, forensic samples can be taken and stored so that evidence is available if you choose to report at a later date. Staffed 24/7.
Email: geh-tr-theblueskycentre at nhs dot net
Telephone: 01926 507 805
Location: George Elliot Hospital, Nuneaton, CV10 7DJ

If you are not sure yet whether you want to report to the police, or think you might want to at some point, you can have a medical examination at the Blue Sky Centre SARC, and they will talk to you confidentially about your options around reporting and support your health needs.

If you need urgent medical care or attention, call 999 (or 112 from a mobile) and ask for an ambulance, or go straight to your nearest Accident & Emergency department.

View more information about the Blue Sky SARC.

Find out more about the police response.

Find more information on Independent Sexual Violence Advisors (ISVAs) 

Disclosing sexual misconduct

Our online reporting service, Report + Support, allows you to speak to an advisor or disclose anonymously.

Support and information available

There is a choice of support services available to you, whether the sexual violence you experienced happened recently or whether it happened in the past. You can also access any of these services whether you are reporting your sexual violence or abuse or not and you can access more than one if you choose.

The important thing to remember is that you are not alone and there is help and support available. Please view a list of places to get advice and support relating to sexual violence and abuse or view our sexual violence information leaflet.

Sexual violence support pathway

The sexual violence support pathway aims to provide clear guidance and resources for everyone on campus to help survivors of sexual violence understand their options and where to get appropriate support. View the support pathway.

If having looked at the pathway you are unsure who to speak to then you can contact either Wellbeing Support Services or the SU Advice Centre and speak to someone about your options and where to get help.

If your studies are affected, we would advise contacting Wellbeing Support Services, the SU Advice Centre, or your personal tutor to get advice on the options available to you e.g. mitigating circumstances, or taking temporary withdrawal.