Welcome to the Career Development Theories module
In terms of supporting career development, the focus of this module, and the overall course, is on career development learning i.e. our own learning and the many ways we can facilitate this learning in others. The support of career development is here being interpreted as involving a wide range of activities including one-to-one discussions, group work, courses, online activities, events and reading. It also includes the marketing and management of these activities. This view of our work will enable you to design support for the career development of clients in many contexts and roles.
Saying hello in the forum
The forum is used thoughout the module to facilitate responses to exercises and formative assessment. It is our space and only module registrants and staff can see our posts. As a first step, you are asked to introduce yourself in the module forum. As a partly distance-learning module, it is helpful if other people can see who is studying. Please do this now by clicking on this forum link and locating the thread entitled Saying hello in the forum.
Using the online lectures
As you will see, the core module content is delivered via a series of online lectures.
- The lectures are provided as WMV files and can play on most devices.
- You can use the play bar to control playback and toggle between part and whole screen viewing.
- The lectures are also provided in Powerpoint. This is because the narrated elements are also contained in written form the Notes section. Depending on the version of Powerpoint you use, the presentations can be listened to and viewed in Slideshow mode, read with notes in Normal view or printed for viewing offline.
- The Notes can be read in Normal view by dragging up and down the Notes box. They can also be printed by picking the relevant printing options.
- Note that in Powerpoint the audio will only play in Powerpoint 2010 or later so you are advised simply to read the slides in Normal view if using an earlier version. If using Powerpoint 2010, it is possible to listen to the slides in Slideshow mode and then re-read in Normal view. When using Slideshow mode, the slides should be advanced manually using the mouse if they do not advance automatically within 1 or 2 seconds.
Core and further reading
There are core readings linked to each of the online lectures. All the core readings are provided in electronic format in the Core and further reading section. Further reading is signposted throughout the module and is listed below the core reading. Further reading is not supplied as the online lectures, workshop and core reading are designed to be self-contained.
At the workshops, we will use additional video case studies to discuss the career development theories. The workshops usually run in October and April.
There are a number of activities threaded through the module. These are usually indicated by a blue box similar to this one!
You are entitled and encouraged to have at least one tutorial as part of this module. Further tutorials can also be discussed as the need arises. Please see details in the Assignment pages.
Typical progress through the module
Month 1: say hello on the forum, engage in initial reading and attend workshop
Month 2: participate in formative assessment activity
Month 3: arrange a tutorial with module leader
Month 4: further reading and case studies
Month 5: completion of summative assignment
Module home page
The module home page acts as an anchor and can be used as a base for navigating around the module. The sections within it are designed to be used in the order shown. Each of the main sections entails approximately four guided learning hours. This is intended as a very rough guide to aid in planning your time.
We hope that you find the module relevant, stimulating, and above all enjoyable!
Phil, Catherine & Gill