The first online lecture sets the context for the module.
- Erving Goffman's definition of 'career' and the work of Wendy Patton and Mary McMahon on career development learning systems are used to develop an introductory framework to aid in understanding. Please now click on the play arrow below.
- This online lecture is also available in Powerpoint introductory framework .
- Following this, read the chapter from Patton & McMahon (2014) provided in the core reading.
Once you have engaged with the core materials, here are some suggestions for optional further reading:
- Alternative definitions of 'career' are offered in the section entitled Additional definitions, disciplines and types of career theory.
- Further systems-related ideas on career development can be found in:
Arthur, Inkson & Pringle (1999) on what they term 'new careers' and the links between individual action and economic change.
Pryor & Bright (2011) on the chaos theory of careers.
Collin (2012) for a slightly different take on a systems approach to career.