Module Leader: Gill Frigerio
This module will provide students with the knowledge and skills required to interact effectively with employers and to develop a strategic approach to this area of work. The topics include both the placement of learning in employer organisations, and securing employers’ involvement in curriculum-based approaches to work related learning. It also looks at the use of information about the labour market to inform this work. ‘Placement’ is understood as meaning ‘the placing of students within an employer organisation’, whether as a placement student, a volunteer or a part-time employee.
By the end of the module the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of theories of organisational structure.
- Understand the purpose and application of business strategies.
- Demonstrate ability in critical analysis and evaluation.
- Reflect on own skills, knowledge and practice and formulate strategies for development.
- Demonstrate ability to establish and maintain professional networks and use them to benefit students.
- Understand, produce and use labour market information.
- Demonstrate written communication skills.
- Demonstrate skills of working with others.
- Demonstrate skills of time management and organisation.
- Demonstrate skills in the use of information technology.
- Characteristics of employer organisations.
- Collation and analysis of labour market information.
- Negotiating with employers.
- Strategic approaches to working with employers.
Summary of teaching
This module is predominantly distance learning-led with materials provided via a virtual learning environment supported by a module reading pack, tutorial support and an option attendance day. The next optional attendance day is Tuesday 4 March 2014.
Module timing and duration
Usually, this module runs all year round. New online materials will be provided on the 6 January 2014. Participants are allowed 5 months to complete.
Summative Assessment The assignment consists of a 5000 word project (100%). Participants are usually asked to prepare a case study of their developing collaboration with an employer, and outline a strategic approach to employer engagement for the future.
The information above was last updated in April 2013 and is a guide only.