Assignment 1: Market Research Case Study – 2500 words
Title: Design and carry out some primary market research relevant to your service using qualitative or quantitative research methods as appropriate and prepare a case study explaining what you did, why you did it, what you found out and how you will take it forward.
First of all, think about a topic on which it would be useful for you/ your service to learn more about what either your existing or target users do or think.
Examples might be:
- Customer satisfaction with existing services
- Interest in possible new services
- Actions taken and outcomes as a result of following advice given
Having decided on your topic, draft your (realistic) objectives for the research – what will the research need to deliver so that you can analyse the findings and then make real use of that information?
Your objectives will need to be such to enable you to decide:
- What information or views you want to gather
- From which and how many people
- How you will analyse and then report the data
- Readings to assist you with the design, implementation and analysis of the survey or focus groups are taken from “Social Research Methods” by Alan Bryman. They have been provided as part of your study pack:
- Designing the self-completion questionnaire pp 221- 224
- Asking questions pp 231-235, 237-245, 249-250
- Focus Groups pp 472-491
- Analysis 314 – 325
You will need to include a justification of your research method (e.g. a focus group or a self-completion questionnaire) as well as an account and example(s) of your research and data gathered as appendices to your Case Study Report. You may include other Appendices if appropriate.
Assignment 2: Marketing Strategy – 2500 words
Title: Carry out a critical analysis of the way your service is currently marketed, both inside and outside the institution. Based on this analysis, devise a marketing strategy for the service in order to expand its work and impact.
It is up to you to decide on the appropriate definition of ‘service’ for the purposes of this assignment.
It may be appropriate to make use of appendices – for example if you wish to make extensive reference to other documents – to avoid using up your word count.
Important: Please ensure that your data can be understood when printed in black and white, and is laid out suitable for printing on A4 paper.
The change to the brief allows focus groups to be used for the market research assignment and simplifies the guidance on compiling a marketing strategy.
The two assignments will be marked separately.
Please contact Gill on G.email@example.com if you have any queries.