WMCETT has been delivering a strand of the Education and Training Foundation’s Professional Exchange #2 programme - and below is more information about how YOU can get involved in 2017.
In 2016 we established the West Midlands Learning Consortium to run one of the pilot projects for a Professional Exchange across the wider West Midlands region. It consisted of eight free events, with details of content shaped by those who wished to attend (more information on those events, right).
As well as stating what CPD they would benefit from, participants were also asked what benefit they could bring to the event. After each event, contact continueed via an online forum, and participants were supported to continue networking. We then held a follow-up dissemination event in November 2016.
We are now launching our 2017 series of events, with a few changes. We need to develop a more formalised Professional Exchange, led by a provider-based steering group. Some providers have already expressed interest in being part of this, and if you would like to take part on behalf of your organisation please contact us (details below).
The first events we have organised are:
- Wednesday, 3 May: Improving student and trainee engagement (including items on resilience, behaviour management, motivation, teaching and learning ideas etc). There is more information here and the agenda is now available here . Nova Training, Bushbury Lane, Wolverhampton.
- Tuesday, 23 May: Digital skills and technology in learning (including items on developing learners' digital skills and literacies, integration of technology into teaching, learning and assessment and technology showcase). More information here and the agenda is now available here . Venue – The Fairfield Centre, Carnforth Drive, Worcester, WR4 9HG. REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT IS NOW CLOSED AS IT HAS REACHED FULL CAPACITY.
- Monday, 12 June: Assessment, progression and employability (focusing on the key Ofsted areas of learner assessment and progress tracking, preparing learners for the workplace and supporting them in employment - exact content to be decided by participants. More information here and draft agenda here . Venue - University of Warwick, Coventry.
- Monday, 26 June: Ofsted readiness: preparing for success and embedding the essentials / plus British Values and Prevent: staff training, embedding and teaching across different parts of the sector. Venue - Solihull College. REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT IS NOW CLOSED AS IT HAS REACHED FULL CAPACITY.
- Monday, 3 July: English and Maths Fest! 2017. University of Warwick, Coventry. The agenda is here . REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT WILL CLOSE AT MIDDAY ON JUNE 30.
We will also have to charge a small attendance fee of £30 for events held this year - however organisations willing to host events will be able to send several participants free of charge.
Please let us know which subject areas you would like to see covered - what you need to know more about, and what you can contribute. We will then source venues, set dates and open the events up to other participants.
Please contact WMCETT project manager Julie Chamberlain on J.Chamberlain@warwick.ac.uk with your ideas, and if you wish to attend fill in the questionnaire above right and return it to WMCETT.
The key principles of the Foundation’s plans for Professional Exchange are:
- Accessibility across a group of organisations for as wide a range of teaching staff as possible.
- Extremely low cost.
- Locally relevant as well as delivering national priority work.
- Horizontal structure in which teaching and teacher development are the key aims and objectives.
- Re-use of skills or expertise developed through previous activity.
The ETF feels that ownership of improvement activity is key to developmental success.
See how you could benefit
At our final dissemination event in 2016, a number of people talked about how they had benefited from taking part in the Professional Exchange. One of them was Sarah Walters, Programme of Study Contract Manager at Worcestershire County Council, who appeared via a video which can be viewed via this link.
Video courtesy of Real Time Education
How to take part
Please fill in this questionnaire below and email to J.email@example.com , answering questions as they relate to the event(s) you wish to attend.
Please feel free also to suggest an idea for another event.
The Professional Exchange events held in 2016 were:
Loughborough College, Friday, April 22
Nova Training, Wolverhampton, Friday, May 20
Jisc webinar and follow-up networking, Tuesday, May 24
University of Warwick, Wednesday, June 8
5) FELTAG: Blended learning in Practice showcase
Heart of Worcestershire College, Monday, June 13
Rodbaston Campus, South Staffordshire College, Wednesday, June 22
University of Warwick, Monday, July 4
Walsall College, Wednesday, July 6
University of Warwick, November 17
ETF information about the Professional Exchange project