I am a research student at the Centre for Applied Linguistics (CAL), University of Warwick. My research interest covers the psychology of language learning from compex and dynamic systems perspective, and my PhD research project is supervised by Dr. Ema Ushioda and Dr. Troy McConachy.
- Japanese University-level EFL learners' motivational profiles
- Systematic review of L2 motivation research in Japan
presented at AsiaTEFL 2017 (Yogyakarta, Indonesia), EUROSLA 2017 (Reading, England)
- Systematic review of EAP motivation reserach [with Sal Consoli (University of Warwick)]
- Overseas teaching practice project [with Katsuhisa Honda (Chiba University), Takenori Yamamoto (Kisarazu National College of Technology), Yoko Suzuki (Chiba University)]
- Meta-analysis of self-determination theory in SLA [with Ali Al-Hoorie (University of Nottingham), Sal Consoli (University of Warwick), & Nigel Lou (University of Alberta)]
- Consoli, S., & Aoyama, T. (2019). Longitudinal L2 motivation inquiry: A response to Lamb's (2016) 'when motivation research motivates: issues in long-term empirical investigations'. Innovation in Language Learning and Taeching, Online First. https://doi.org/10.1080/17501229.2018.1548081
- Aoyama, T. (2019). Understanding motivation in the language classroom: Insights from complexity perspectives. Journal of the Canter for Foreign Language Education, 14.
- Honda, K., Aoyama, T., Kida, Y., & Tadokoro, T. (forthcoming). Innovative overseas teaching practicums in pre-service training: The case of local public/private schools in Vienna, Austria. Bulletin of The Faculty of Education, Chiba University, 67. (*Published in Japanese)
- Honda, K., Hoshika, M., Aoyama, T., Someya, F., & Yamamoto, T. (2018). A Systematic Review of Articles in KATE 1–31: The changing trends in the field of English education. KATE Journal, 32.
- Aoyama, T., Hoshika, M., & Honda, K. (2018). Reporting practices in L2 quantitative research: A systematic review of ARELE 13–28. Annual Review of English Language Education in Japan, 29.
- Consoli, S., & Aoyama, T. (2018). The forum on language learning motivation: The first steps. ELT Research, 33.
- Aoyama, T., & Consoli, S. (2017). Introducing FOLLM: Forum on language learning motivation. The Warwick ELT, 1, 308–314.
- Honda, K., Aoyama, T., Tadokoro, T., & Kida, Y. (2017). The overseas teaching practicum in pre-service English teacher training: A qualitative data analysis using SCAT. Annual Review of English Language Education in Japan, 28, 289–301.
- Aoyama, T. (2017, November). A retrospective-longitudinal review of L2 motivation research: Reserach trends in the Japanese EFL context. Invited talk at Osaka University, Osaka, Japan. 04/11/2017.
- Aoyama, T. (2017, Februrary). Motivation in second language learning: From theory to practice. Invited talk at Chiba University, Chiba, Japan. 24/02/2017.
- Suzuki, Y., & Aoyama, T. (2018, June). 12. Exploring teachers’ impact on student demotivation in the Japanese EFL context. Paper presented at AsiaTEFL2018 International Conference Macau. 28/06/2018.
- Aoyama, T. (2018, June-b). Revisiting the L2 motivational self system: Focusing on self-discrepancy. Paper presented at AsiaTEFL2018 International Conference. Macau. 28/06/2018.
- Aoyama, T. (2018, June-a). Self-discrepancies, beliefs, and self-authenticity: A replication of Henry & Cliffordson (2017). Paper presented at PLL3 Conference. Tokyo. 10/06/2018.
- Yamamoto, T., & Aoyama, T. (2017, December). Learners’ perspectives on learning engineering vocabularies in KOSEN: Exploring their changes by quantitative content analysis. Paper presented at the International Conference on ESP: New technologies and digital learning. Hong Kong. 7–9/12/2017.
- Aoyama, T. (2017, August). Language learning motivation research in Japan: A systematic review. Paper presented at the 27th Annual Conference of the European Second Language Association (EUROSLA), Reading, England. 31/08/2017.
- Aoyama, T. (2017, July). L2 Motivation Research in Japan: A Systematic Review of Articles Published in Domestic Journals. Paper presented at the 15th AsiaTEFL Conference, Yogyakarta, Indonesia. 13–15/07/2017.
- Aoyama, T. (2016, September). Synthesising research on L2 motivation: A call for meta-analysis. Paper presented at Second Language Researfh Forum 2016 (SLRF). Teachers College, Columbia University, NY. 22–25/09/2016.
- Aoyama, T. (2016, June). Meta-analysis in L2 motivation: Potentials of quantitative research synthesis. Paper presented at the 19th Warwick International Postgraduate Conference in Applied Linguistics. University of Warwick, Coventry, England. 28–30/06/2016.
- Aoyama, T. (2015, November). Age related differences in L2 motivation among Japanese EFL learners: Multi-group structural equation modeling. Paper presented at the 13th Asia TEFL International Conference, Nanjing, China.
- Aoyama, T. (2015, August). L2 selves, attitude and intercultural contact among learners of English and Swedish in Finland. Paper presented at the 25th Annual Conference of the European Second Language Association (EuroSLA), Aix-en-Provence, France.
- Research methodology seminar, Faculty of Education at Chiba University, Japan (2014, 2015, 2016)
- Student workshop, KATE conference, Japan (2015, 2016)
- Student collaborator, Japan Second Language Research Forum (J-SLARF)
- Co-organiser, Forum on Language Learning Motivation (FOLLM)
- Organising committee member, Warwick International Postgraduate Conference in Applied Linguistics (2016, 2017)
- (September, 2015) The Grant for Dispatch of Student Abroad of Chiba University. (Approx. USD 1,500)
- (March, 2015) President Award (Academic Excellence), Chiba University, Japan.
Affiliated Academic Societies
- Japan Second Language Research Forum (J-SLARF)
- European Second Language Association (EUROSLA)
- British Association of Applied Linguistics (BAAL)
- Japan Society of English Language Education (JASELE)
t dot aoyama at warwick dot ac dot uk
Academia.edu: Takumi Aoyama