Welcome to My e-portfolio
Exploring the Attitudes of British and Turkish Secondary School Students Towards Value of Respect: a Comparative Empirical Study
I am an RE teacher and worked for 7 years in Turkey in different state schools. When I was working, I taught some moral, cultural, religious, and traditional values to my students as a part of my course and I have started to be more interested in “Values Education” during this time. Hence, I decided to do my PhD, especially in this area because I believe that if we understand students’ opinions or attitudes towards values, we can improve our teaching strategies.
My research focuses on Exploring the Attitudes of British and Turkish Secondary School Students Towards Value of Respect. The study aims to examine the attitudes towards respect includes looking at how participants define respect, the sources shaping their understanding of respect among British and Turkish secondary school pupils. In addition, one of the goals of this research is to find out how cultural/religious context and religious practice plays a role in forming students’ attitudes towards respect. The research will also search the associations between attitudes towards respect and self-esteem, attitudes towards theistic faiths/attitudes towards Islam (in Turkey), personality types, and empathy with the subscales, which are in the questionnaire.
For the research, it was considered appropriate to use the quantitative method approach regard to the nature and focus of the research questions and overall topic. Cross-sectional survey design will be conducted. A questionnaire, which covers respect scale and some demographic questions and some subscales, will be used as an instrument and data will be collected from secondary schools in Turkey and the UK.
I believe that this study will be significant because it offers a new scale about respect and it will help to understand students’ ideas about respect and this can lead new and more useful education strategies.
● Master’s Degree (2014) in Philosophy and Religious Sciences/History of Religions
● RE Teacher (2007-2014) in Turkey
Conferences Attended and Presented
● ‘Islamic Education and Public Schooling’, Swedish Research Council and Marie Sklodowska Curie Actions, 6th- 8th April 2016, [Participant]
● ‘Making a Difference’, Interdisciplinary Postgraduate Conference, Centre for Education Studies (CES), University of Warwick, Coventry, 23th May 2016. [Participant]
● ‘Education in a Changing World’, Interdisciplinary Postgraduate Conference, Centre for Education Studies (CES), University of Warwick, Coventry, 6th May 2017. [Presenter]
● 'Divine Word in Secular World'. Developing Contextual Pedagogies of the Qur'an within European Muslim Diaspora. 2nd Warwick Islamic Education Summer School. University of Warwick, Coventry, 24-26 September 2017. [Presenter]
● 'Communication, Collaboration, and Commitment', Postgraduate Research Conference, Institute of Education, Worcester University, Worcester, 20 October 2017. [Presenter]
● 'New Challenges in Education', The 16th Annual School of Education Doctoral Research Conference, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, 25th November 2017. [Presenter]
● 'Education in Unequal Societies' Interdisciplinary Postgraduate Conference, Centre for Education Studies (CES), University of Warwick, Coventry, 5th May 2018. [Presenter]
● 'Kaleidoscope Conference 2018, Beyond Borders: Connecting Insights, Research & Practice in Education', University of Cambridge, Cambridge, 24th-25th May 2018. [Presenter]