Skip to main content

Health Care

The UK is a fairly health place to live and you will probably remain fit and well throughout your period of study. The most frequent illness is the common cold, which may cause you minor discomfort but then usually disappears in a few days without the need of medical attention.


You are advised to ensure your inoculations are up to date before coming to the UK. As a general requirement, all students are required to have had the Meningitis C or Meningitis A + C, and Mumps vaccines. Please ensure that you have had these vaccines before leaving your home country. Remember to bring with you an up-to-date record of the vaccines and inoculations that you have had through your childhood and in recent years.

Health Care

Regulations state that if a person is legally resident in this country for more than six months or holds the appropriate EEA certificate (Europe only), they are entitled to free medical treatment (local surgery) under the government-funded National Health Service (NHS). Students on a recognised course such as the Warwick IFP, which is longer than three months can register with a local GP for free NHS primary medical care. Your immediate family (spouse and children) should be able to register with a local GP if they fulfil the six months residency criteria. A GP can prescribe medicine for you if appropriate. There is a standard charge for each medicine that is prescribed for you. You do not need a prescription for normal strength pain killers, stomach settlers, throat lozengers, and these can be purchased at a chemist or supermarket.

GPs refer patients to see specialist consultants at a hospital if necessary. Generally, students registered on courses of a least six months will be able to receive free hospital care but it is up to the hospital to decide whether you are eligible for free treatment and whether your condition is serious enough to need emergency medical treatment. If you require routine medical care e.g. for diabetes and the hospital decides that you are not eligible for free treatment, you will be expected to pay. You may be able to reclaim these costs against your medical insurance. Whatever your situation, neither you nor your family will be charged for emergency treatment at hospital accident and emergency departments.

You must register with the doctor immediately at the start of your course to benefit from the National Health Service.


Dental treatment in the UK has to be paid for, but you can apply for financial help if you are on a low income. Those on low incomes can also receive free sight tests and glasses at reduced costs from the opticians. You can find out more about dentists near where you live from the International Office at your college.