Please read our student and staff community guidance on COVID-19
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Non Visa Nationals

subpage default banner section image

Information for non-visa nationals


When arriving at the UK Border, please read the signage carefully and ensure that you do NOT use the eGate.

Print this leaflet or show it on your phone if a member of airport staff directs to you the queue for the eGate. If you use the eGate, you will be granted entry as a general visitor which means you cannot study for more than 30 days.

Make sure that you do not use the eGate if you travel in and out of the UK during studies as well.

Click here for enrolment information for non-visa nationals who intend to obtain a STSV on arrival

Frequently asked questions

Please click on the relevant section below to expand the guidance.
  • There are two ways to find out if you are a non-visa national.

    Option one:

    Click here to go to the online appendix V of the immigration rules

    Scroll down and click on appendix 2. visa national list to expand.

    If your country is listed you are not a non-visa national.

    Option two:

    Check the Home Office website to ascertain if you are a non-visa national.

    After entering your nationality, purpose of visit and period of study, if you see the following information on the Home Office website, this indicates that you are a non-visa national.


    Please be aware that if the website appears to indicate that you do not need a visa to come to the UK, it means that you do not need to apply for a visa before coming to the UK. Instead, you can apply on arrival at a UK border.

    To clarify:

    • A non-visa national coming to the UK as a Standard Visitor can enter the UK without applying for a visa in advance.
    • Such a deemed 'Standard Visitor visa' only allows for 30 days of study in the UK.
    • If you are coming to the UK to study for more than 30 days, you will be permitted to enrol, however, you must leave the UK once you have engaged in 30 days of study, and then follow the instructions below.
    • Therefore, if you are coming to the UK to study for longer than 30 days, you MUST visit the immigration desk on arrival at your port of entry, and request a Short Term Study visa (STSV).
      • You will need to meet the application requirements, and provide the required evidence to the immigration officer.
      • If they are satisfied that you are a genuine student, and you meet the application requirements, the will put a STSV stamp in your passport. This will allow you to study in the UK for up to 6 months.
  • Preparing your evidence before you leave for the UK

    Before you leave to come to the UK, you must ensure that you have all the required evidence to successfully apply for a STSV on arrival.

    You will need:

    • A current passport or other valid travel identification
    • Evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, for example, bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
    • Details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - if you have arranged these beforehand
    • Contact details for at least one parent or guardian in your home country (if you’re under 18 years old)
    • A valid ATAS Certificate if your course (postgraduate course only), requires one.
      • Your offer letter should state if the course you are coming to study has an ATAS requirement.
        • If you are unsure, you should contact your admissions team for confirmation.
        • If it does, then you will need to apply for an ATAS certificate.
        • It takes a minimum of 28 days to obtain an ATAS certificate from the moment the application is submitted.
        • Please ensure you follow the required steps to obtain an ATAS well in advance of your journey.
        • If your course requires ATAS, and you are unable to provide a valid ATAS certificate to the immigration officer, they will refuse entry, or only allow you to enter as a visitor, which will not confer your right to study, and you will not, therefore, be permitted to enrol.
    • A STSV support letter, Click here for information on how to obtain this letter

    Please click on the links below to see the information on GOV.UK: STSV

  • If you travel to the UK via the Republic of Ireland (RoI), please note that you will only be granted a 90-day visa.

    This will mean you can only study for a period of 90 days or less.

    If your study period is longer than 90 days, you should either:

    • Apply for a 6-month Short Term Study visa before you travel and arrive in the UK or RoI within the validity of that visa


    • If you enter via the RoI without first applying for a 6-month Short Term Study visa, you will need to leave the Common Travel Area (CTA) within 90 days, and return to the UK, visiting the immigration desk on your return to gain/activate your Short Term Study visa, which will then enable you to study for up to 6 months.

    For information, the CTA is the UK, RoI, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

    An example of this would be:

    • If your passport allows you to, or, if you already hold a Schengen visa, you can make a day trip/ weekend trip to any EU country (for example, France).
    • You can then visit the immigration desk at your port of entry when you return to the UK to receive a 6-month Short Term Study visa stamp.
  • The application requirements are the same as above, if you are coming to the UK for 6 months or less.

    If you are coming to the UK for more than 6 months but less than 11 months, you must make an Entry Clearance Visa Application in advance via the GOV.UK application pages, and will receive your passport & 1-month travel visa before you leave for the UK.

    You will then need to collect a BRP card once you arrive in the UK.

    We advise that you use the STSV application guide to assist you with your application.

    Traveling to the UK

    You should have the above evidence with you in your hand luggage when you travel to the UK.

    • If at all possible, you should avoid any flights that enter the UK via the Republic of Ireland - see section below for explanation and advice.

    On arrival at a UK port, you may be directed to use the e-gate if your nationality is Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or the USA. Please ensure that you do NOT use e-gate. Print the UKVI flyer and show to the airport staff if they insist.

    You will need to visit the immigration desk, and let them know that you require a Short Term Study visa as you are coming to study in the UK and present your Short Term Study visa support letter from the University of Warwick. You should present any other documents the immigration officer asks for.

    Do not volunteer any documents unless the immigration officer specifically asks for them.

    You should then be given a visa stamp to enable you to study in the UK for up to 6 months. The immigration officer should stamp your passport with a Short Term Study visa stamp. They may handwrite 'VST' for Visiting Student or 'STS' for Short Term Student on a visitor stamp, both of these are also acceptable.

    If the stamp in your passport does not clearly show that you sought entry as a short-term student then you must ask the immigration officer to make sure it does.

    Please click here for more information on entry stamps.

    Please click here for information on length of leave granted for STSVs