Coronavirus (Covid-19): Latest updates and information
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Global Talent

You can apply for a Global Talent visa if you work in a qualifying field and have been endorsed:

  • as a recognised leader (exceptional talent)
  • as an emerging leader (exceptional promise)
  • under the UK Research and Innovation endorsed funder option

Find out if the field you work in qualifies.

You must also be from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.


Who can switch in this category?

You can apply to switch to a Global Talent visa if you’re already in the UK with any of these visa types:

  • Tier 1
  • Tier 2
  • Tier 5 (Temporary worker - Government Authorised Exchange) on an exchange scheme for sponsored researchers
  • Start-up visa
  • an Innovator visa

You can choose how long you want to apply for, up to a maximum of 5 years. You only have to pay the healthcare surcharge for the amount of time you choose to stay.

You must leave the UK and make your application from abroad if you’re in another category.

Read the assessment criteria and immigration rules before you apply.


To get a Global Talent visa, you need to apply to be endorsed:

  • as a leader (exceptional talent)
  • as an emerging leader (exceptional promise)
  • under the UK Research and Innovation endorsed funder option

Your application will be reviewed by an organisation that’s related to your qualifying field, called an ‘endorsing body’.

The endorsing bodies are:

  • The Royal Society, for science and medicine
  • The Royal Academy of Engineering, for engineering
  • The British Academy, for humanities
  • Tech Nation, for digital technology
  • Arts Council England, for arts and culture
  • UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), for research applicants

If your qualifying field is fashion, architecture or film and television, Arts Council England will pass on your application for review to:

  • British Fashion Council, for fashion
  • Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), for architecture
  • Producers Alliance for Cinema and Television (PACT), for film and television

Read more about being endorsed for the Global Talent scheme and the immigration rules you’ll need to meet.

You can use a valid endorsement given under the old Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa rules to apply for a Global Talent visa. You will not need to get a new endorsement under the Global Talent visa rules

What is a (DCB) Designated Competent Body?

The DCB have been selected by the Home Office to assess your application under stage 1. There are five Designated Competent Bodies who will advise the Home Office whether you meet its eligibility criteria and have reached the appropriate level to be endorsed under Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent).

• Arts Council England – for arts, culture, fashion, architecture, film and television

• The British Academy – for humanities and social science applications;

•The Royal Society - for natural sciences and medical science research applications;

• The Royal Academy of Engineering – for engineering applications; and

• Tech Nation – for digital technology applications.

The criteria applied by each Designated Competent Body when deciding whether you show
Exceptional Talent or Exceptional Promise appear in Appendix L of the Immigration Rules
available on GOV.UK

If I receive endorsement under this route, how long can I stay in the UK?

You can apply to stay for between 1 and 5 years. You only have to pay the healthcare surcharge for the amount of time you choose to stay.

You can apply to extend your visa as many times as you like. Each extension can last from 1 to 5 years.

You can apply for settlement once you’ve been in the UK for:

  • 3 years with an exceptional talent visa
  • 3 years with an exceptional talent endorsement
 in science
  • 3 years with an endorsement under the UKRI endorsed funder scheme
  • 5 years with an exceptional promise endorsement in either arts and culture or digital technology

What can I do and not do on this visa?

You can:

  • work - for an employer, as a director of a company or be self-employed
  • change jobs without telling the Home Office
  • do voluntary work
  • travel abroad and return to the UK
  • bring family members with you

You cannot:

  • get public funds
  • work as a doctor or dentist in training
  • work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach

Where can I go for further information?

The University of Warwick only provides limited advice and information under this category, if you want to find out more about this visa route, please read the Home Office Policy Guidance.