Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Non-EU/EEA/Swiss Students

Non-EU/EEA students who intend to study for 3 terms (1 full academic year) in the UK:

To study a full time course which is more than 6 months in the UK, you will require a Tier 4 Student visa.

The Study Abroad team will contact you from 3-4 months prior to your intended course start to advise how to obtain a CAS which is required for a Tier 4 visa.

Please also refer to our website about how to apply for a Tier 4 visa.

Non-EU/EEA students who intend to study for 1 to 2 terms (about 3 to 6 months) or less in the UK:

You will need to apply for a 'Short Term Study Visa (STSV)'.

Depending on your nationality, you may need to apply for this visa before you travel to the UK, or, on arrival when you go through UK Border.

In both cases, you will need to obtain a 'Short Term Study Visa' supporting letter from the Study Abroad team.

If you would like to have a Tier 4 visa instead, and have a good reason for requiring one, please get in touch with your Admissions team and outline your reasons.

Please be aware that your visa will be valid until your 'course end date' + 7 days if you apply for a Tier 4 vsia, which is much less than a Short Term Study visa (course end date + 30 days).

Non-EU/EEA students who do not need to apply for a visa before travelling to the UK (non-visa nationals):

Check the Home Office website to ascertain if you are a non-visa national.

After entering your nationality, purpose of visit and period of study, if you see the following information on the Home Office website, this indicates that you are a non-visa national.


If this is the case, you do not have to apply for a visa BEFORE coming to the UK as you are able to apply for a 'Short Term Study Visa' application on arrival at a UK airport.

You should recieve a STSV Support Letter from the Study Abroad Team, which confirms the course you have been accepted on, and provide proof that you can afford to follow the course - please see the informaton on the STSV pages.

You should then be given a visa stamp to enable you to study in the UK for up to 6 months.

If you have not received this letter, please contact the Study Abroad Team by clicking here.

Please ensure that you do NOT use the eGates when entering the UK.

If you use eGates, you will be granted entry as a general visitor which means you cannot study for more than 30 days.


If will travel to the UK via the Republic of Ireland, please note that you will only be granted a 90 day visa.

This will mean you can only study for a period of 90 days or less.

If your study period is longer than 90 days, you should either:

  • Apply for a Short Term Study visa before you travel and avoid entering the UK via the Republic of Ireland


  • If you enter via the RoI, you will then need to leave the Common Travel Area (CTA) within 90 days, and return to the UK, visiting the Immigration Desk on your return to gain/activate your Short Term Study visa, which will then enable you to study for up to 6 months.
  • The CTA is the UK, RoI, The Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.
    • An example of this would be :
      • If your passport allows you to, or, if you already hold a Schengen visa, you can make a day trip / weekend trip to any EU country.