APPLICATIONS FOR 2016-2017 ARE NOW OPEN
If your school is eligible you should have received an email and an application pack through the post.
For more information please contact Marie Diebolt at ROWarwick at warwick dot ac dot uk
The Realising Opportunities (RO) Programme is an innovative outreach scheme working with 15 leading universities across England. The programme, initially established by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE), is seeking to widen access to leading Research Intensive Universities.
The Programme has been designed to give your students support through their post 16 studies and to provide them with information and guidance to help them make informed decisions about their future. It allows students to demonstrate that they have the potential to study at a research intensive university and by successfully completing the RO Programme they will be eligible for any alternative offers or special consideration they may receive from the RO universities.
RO students will benefit from increased information, advice and access to the RO Universities. The Programme they follow will ensure they are better equipped for university life and what research intensive universities can offer.
- When students apply to any of the RO universities, their UCAS application will be given additional consideration.
- All RO universities also give alternative offers worth up to two grades lower than the standard offer to students who successfully complete the programme. All alternative offers given through UCAS are dependent on the university and course students apply for and it is recommended that students contact the university before they apply.
- For more information about the recognition offered by the RO universities please refer to the Recognition Guide.
- Students will learn and develop key skills that will help them to be successful in their current studies and also at university.
- Students must complete an independent piece of research as part of the programme as well as an online study module giving them skills in researching, planning, critical thinking, analysis and referencing.
Advice for the Future
- Students will gain an understanding of what a research intensive university is and the benefits of studying at one. Through events and activities such as masterclasses and residential visits they will learn more about university life and their subject choices. Students are also allocated a dedicated ementor from one of the RO universities who will guide them through an interactive support programme and students will have access to a wide range of resources and activities on the ementoring site.
Access to Professional Careers Information
- Students will have access to information and advice from a range of professionals and employee organisations, in the past we have worked with UKCAT, The Nuffield Foundation and Teach First. Please see the Organisations We Work With page
Schools eligibility criteria
The University of Warwick recruits able and talented students for the programme through a number of eligible schools in Coventry and Warwickshire.
An eligible school/college must meet one of the following criteria
• is performing below the national average for 5 A*- C at GCSE (including English and Mathematics)
• is performing below the national average at key stage 5, or
• has higher than the national average number of students eligible for free school meals, or
• has greater than 60% of students from the first 13,000 super output areas within the Index of Multiple Deprivation.
For full details please visit the RO schools and colleges pages.