About the programme
The Student Progression Team is an innovative partnership placing current University of Warwick students into local schools and colleges to work with Year 9 and 10 pupils. The students work with a small group of school pupils to deliver a variety of interactive and engaging activities during term-time.
The Student Progression Team is an aspiration-raising mentoring programme, aiming to inspire young people to think about their future. University of Warwick students act as role models for Higher Education, providing a unique opportunity for school pupils to gain an insight into the next key stages of education. The programme works specifically with groups of pupils with the potential to progress to Higher Education, who may not be from a background that traditionally move on to university.
Outreach Officer (Student Progression Team)
Phone: 02476 151593
The key information is contained within this menu. Open each section to find out more.
Two-stage project launch introducing the programme to schools and Ambassadors
Ambassador Launch: School co-ordinators to meet their Student Ambassadors at the University of Warwick.
In-School Launch: 1 hour programme launch session arranged in school for university staff and Student Progression Team Ambassadors to meet pupils selected for the scheme.
Variety of interactive sessions delivered by Ambassadors in school for year 9 and 10. Ambassadors work with the same group of eight pupils over a 6-8 week period. Student Progression Team activities are aspiration raising (not subject specific) and tailored to meet the needs of the group.
• Campus Visits
Every pupil is invited to a visit day at the University of Warwick, allowing them to explore the campus and participate in a variety of university taster sessions. School to bring all pupils involved in the programme to the same visit day accompanied by a teacher.
• End of Programme
Every pupil that completes the scheme is presented with a certificate to recognise their success on the Student Progression Team programme. All pupils will be asked to complete an end-of-programme survey.
• Goal Setting
• Introduction to Higher Education
• Study Skills and Managing your Exams
• Next Steps
• Be commutable on public transport and take no more than one hour to travel from University of Warwick campus.
• Be able to have a named coordinator at the school/college willing to oversee the scheme.
• In receipt of (or eligible for) Free School Meals.
• In receipt of discretionary means tested payments or eligible for pupil premium.
• Living or having lived in local authority care.
Student Progression Team Ambassadors work closely with Year 9 and 10 pupils by delivering interactive workshops in schools across Coventry and Warwickshire. If you are a current University of Warwick student please find more information below and visit our webpage for further details.
• Plan and deliver six to eight hour-long mentoring sessions in a local school
• Work with the same group of pupils, building their confidence and knowledge
• Support an end-of-programme campus visit day.
• Confidence in presenting information to a small group
• Valuable experience in working with young people and classroom management skills
• Share your university experience to inspire pupils across Coventry and Warwickshire
• Enhance your CV
Applications Close: Wednesday 24th October 2018
Selection Event: Wednesday 7th November 2018 (3.00pm - 7.00pm)
Training: Tuesday 20th November 2018 (6.00pm - 7.30pm) and Saturday 1st December 2018 (Full Day)
Launch Event: Wednesday 9th January 2019
Current Partner Schools
• Bishop Ullathorne Catholic School
• Campion School
• Ernesford Grange Community Academy
• Foxford School and Community Arts College
• Harris C of E Academy
• Nicholas Chamberlaine School
• North Leamington School
• Sidney Stringer Academy
• Stoke Park School and Community Technology College
• Trinity Catholic School
• West Coventry Academy
• Westwood Academy
• Whitley Academy