The bioprocessing and biotechnology industries are major components of global industrialised economies with impacts in medicine, pharmaceuticals, manufacture and the food sector. Management of change requires a new calibre of technical specialist who will have business acumen and a scientific knowledge base. This MSc equips you with the necessary tools and expertise to become an entrepreneur, offering key business information and industrially relevant knowledge.
Leading centres of expertise, including staff from Life Sciences and Warwick Business School, form a multidisciplinary teaching faculty.
The course is delivered by lecturers with internationally acknowledged academic, industrial and government expertise.
Listed below are the core modules for this course. If you would like to view each in greater detail, please click on each module title:
- The Fundamentals of Biotechnology & Genetic Engineering
- Biochemical Engineering
- Entrepreneurship and Commercialisation
- Bioproduct Plant Design and Economic Analysis
- Drug Discovery and Biopharmaceutical Development
- Marketing Management
- Accounting and Financial Management
- Business Strategy
Listed below are the optional modules students are to pick from for this course, however they are subject to availability. If you would like to view each module in greater detail, please click each module title:
- Environmental Protection, Risk Assessment & Safety
- Innovations to Prevent & Treat Infectious Disease
- Essentials of Medical Genomics
- Microbiomics and Metagenomics
* The modules mentioned above may be subject to change. Please read our terms and conditions for more detailed information.
Teaching is typically by interactive lectures, short question & answer sessions and small group interactive workshops/tutorials. Individual and team learning will be used for case study analysis. Projects will be non-laboratory based and generally undertaken at the University of Warwick under the supervision of an approved tutor.
15 to 20 contact hours per week.
Class sizes consist of 20 to 80 students depending on the module.
- One third of the final mark will be derived from the project dissertation.
- Two thirds of the final mark will be derived from assessments of the eight core and three elective modules.
- Assessments will take place during or shortly after completion of each module.
- Includes essays, seminar presentations, poster presentations, Multiple Choice Question exams and assessed group work
- The project will be assessed by dissertation.
Our graduates have gone on to work for organisations including:
- Binding Site Group Ltd
- Zimmerman & Partners
- Sanofi-Aventis Shanghai
- European Medicines Agency
They have progressed into roles such as:
- Business Development Manager
- Project Manager
- Senior Regulatory Affairs Associate
- Medical Writer
- Research Associate and Market Research Executive
Graduates also enter graduate schemes or go on to PhD study.
To Visit Warwick...
There are a number of different ways to visit the University of Warwick throughout the year. We host bespoke PG visits, where you can talk directly with your chosen department and explore our campus through a personalised tour. Some departments also host their own events and open days, where you can learn more about your department or course of study. To find out more about all of these opportunities, visit our Postgraduate Visits page.
Full-time: 1 year
(September 2019 - September 2020)
2:ii undergraduate degree (or equivalent) in a related subject
English Language Requirements
IELTS overall score of 6.5, minimum component scores not below 6.0
Department of Study
Location of Study
University of Warwick
See Student Finance
Up to five SLS Excellence Scholarships will be awarded as a 50% reduction of course fees. Awards will be based on past academic achievement and experience, motivation for study, extracurricular activities and vision for the future.
Additional Course Costs
Students will need to spend approximately £80 on books. Students are expected to have suitable clothing for field trips, including waterproof footwear.
Find out more about fees and funding on the University website.