Developed out of our very successful Biotechnology, Bioprocessing and Business Management MSc, this course will provide you with knowledge and understanding of the key technical, business and societal issues relevant to the operation and development of medical biotechnology industries. It will equip you to make original and informed contributions to advance and develop these industries.
It will also develop your capability to research and analyse market needs for medical product development and propose technical strategy based on up-to-date information and leading edge diagnostic technology.
Listed below are the core modules for this course. If you would like to view each in greater detail, please click on each module title:
- The Fundamentals of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering
- Entrepreneurship & Commercialisation
- Drug Discovery and Biopharmaceutical Development
- Marketing Management
- Accounting and Financial Management
- Business Strategy
- Medical Diagnostics
- Regenerative Medicine
Listed below are the optional modules students are to pick from for this course, however they are subject to availability. If you would like to view each module in greater detail, please click each module title:
- Microbiomics and Metagenomics
- Innovations to Prevent and Treat Infectious Disease
- Essentials of Medical Genomics
- Environmental Protection, Risk Assessment and Safety
Teaching is typically by interactive lectures, short question and answer sessions and small group interactive workshops/tutorials. Individual and team learning will be used for case study analysis. Projects will be non-laboratory based and generally undertaken at the University of Warwick under the supervision of an approved tutor.
Students receive between 10-15 contact hours per week
Class sizes can vary between 5 to 80 students depending on the module
• One third of the final mark will be derived from the project dissertation
• Two thirds of the final mark will be derived from assessments of the eight core and two elective modules
• Assessments will take place during or shortly after completion of each module
• Includes essays, seminar presentations, poster presentations, MCQs and assessed group work
• The project will be assessed by a dissertation
Our graduates have gone on to work for organisations including:
- Rightangled Ltd
- Oxford University Hospital
They have progressed into roles such as:
- Executive Director
- Technology Graduate Associate
To Visit Warwick...
There are a number of different ways to visit the University of Warwick throughout the year. We host bespoke PG visits, where you can talk directly with your chosen department and explore our campus through a personalised tour. Some departments also host their own events and open days, where you can learn more about your department or course of study. To find out more about all of these opportunities, visit our Postgraduate Visits page.
Full-time: 1 year
(September 2019 - September 2020)
Part-time: 2 years
(September 2019 - September 2021)
2:ii undergraduate degree (or equivalent) in a related subject
English Language Requirements
IELTS overall score of 6.5, minimum component scores not below 6.0.
Department of Study
Location of Study
University of Warwick
See Student Finance
Up to five SLS Excellence Scholarships will be awarded as a 50% reduction of course fees. Awards will be based on past academic achievement and experience, motivation for study, extracurricular activities and vision for the future.
Additional Course Costs
Students will need to spend approximately £80 on books. Students are expected to have suitable clothing for field trips, including waterproof footwear.
Find out more about fees and funding on the University website.