Warwick has a small number of places available in clearing in Hispanic Studies in 2016.
Warwick’s clearing hotline number will be 024 7653 3544 and it will open at 8am on Thursday 18th August.
Why study Modern Languages at Warwick?
• You’ll be learning in a friendly and supportive environment, taught by people who are as passionate about your subject(s) as you are. German*, Italian Studies and French** ranks top of the Russell Group for “Staff have made the subject interesting” in the National Student Survey 2016. We are a multilingual, globally-engaged School, large enough to provide a wide range of academic, social and cultural opportunities, and small enough to provide a friendly base where students and staff can work together inside and outside the classroom. Students can also access a range of wellbeing services, including their personal tutor, staff-student liaison committee members and counsellors on campus. As well as studying one or more languages to an advanced level, you’ll explore the literature, culture, history and politics of the countries where those languages are spoken.
• We offer a great deal of flexibility. Choose from a wide range of options: single honours, major/minor and joint degrees to combine your study of language and culture with other subjects including politics and international studies, English, economics, film, history, linguistics, theatre studies, classics and history of art. You can also study three languages if you wish, including some of our languages ab initio. You can choose two major languages from French, German, Italian or Spanish, and your minor language from Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian or Spanish.
• Gain valuable experience spending a year abroad on an academic placement at one of our carefully-chosen partner universities, on a work placement or working as a language assistant teaching English. Our students have undertaken placements across the globe, in Europe, the Caribbean, North and South America. If you’re studying more than one language, you can split your time between two countries. The School, together with the Study Abroad team and our dedicated Careers Services, provides ongoing support before, during, and after the year abroad, ensuring that you make the best out of your experience both academically and personally.
• We regularly refresh our modules and degree courses to ensure that they are fresh, effective and challenging. Staff work at the cutting edge of their fields, which means you will always benefit from the latest knowledge, teaching methods and resources. In the REF (Research Excellence Framework) 2014, our research outputs were ranked 5th in the UK, with 79.7% of our publications ranked at 4* or 3*.
• You’ll have the chance to join our student-run language societies. They regularly organise film screenings, social events, trips, quizzes and other activities. The societies also organise mentoring for first-years, with more experienced students sharing their valuable insights. Our students are also involved in One World Week, which celebrates international diversity on campus.
• We offer outstanding facilities for undergraduate linguists, including the University Language Centre and the Transnational Resources Centre (TRC), which gives you exclusive access to a suite of multimedia rooms and a library of almost 4000 films in French, German, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese.
*German and Scandinavian studies and Italian studies subject groupings
**French studies subject grouping
In the news
Hispanic Liverpool Community Collection documents over 90 pieces of the past
Liverpool was once home to thriving Spanish, Basque, Galician, Filipino and Latin American communities, who lived and worked in the maritime and trade networks connecting Liverpool with its sister ports in the Luso-Hispanic world.
Societies for hispanic enthusiasts!
The Hispanic Studies Society is mainly an academic society for those studying modules within the Hispanic Studies Society. However, if you're a native Spanish speaker or interested in Hispanic culture you will be a very welcome member!