Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Useful Information and Documents

The British Council have a range of publications available, written for international students new to studying in the UK. These include

- A Pre-departure guide for students moving to the UK

- A guide on making your time in the UK safe and enjoyable

- A guide on cultural awareness

You can view the British Council website here.

Council Tax is a local tax and money raised through this tax contributes to the cost of local services such as schools, libraries, street maintenance and emergency services. Generally, any property (a hall of residence or a house) that only students live in is exempt from Council Tax. If you are asked to pay Council Tax please seek advice from the Student Advice Centre in Warwick SU. The UKCISA website also has information on Council Tax and International Students.

To find local dentists and opticians visit the NHS website. Dental treatment and eye care are subsidised but not free under the NHS. Dentists only take a limited number of NHS patients and can have a long waiting list, so many people have to pay the full cost for treatment. If you wear spectacles or contact lenses, it is advisable to have a copy of your latest prescription with you in the UK in case of an emergency. It is illegal to prescribe contact lenses for a patient if the prescription is over 2 years old.

In common with other UK universities, the University of Warwick equates 2 Warwick credits to 1 ECTS credit. Examples are given below:

30-credit module = 15 ECTS credits

Full-time undergraduate year: 120 credits = 60 ECTS credits

Full-time postgraduate year: 180 credits = 90 ECTS credits

The Centre for Applied Linguistics (CAL) provides an extensive programme of in-sessional English language support for international students, though places are limited. This support is free of charge to participating students. English classes are taught at lunchtimes and in the evenings to avoid clashes with students’ other classes.

CAL also offer online resources for English for Academic Purposes. Their website includes advice on listening, speaking, reading and writing; recommendations on reference materials, cultural information and advice and technical sections on dictionary usage and common grammar problems.

The University of Warwick now provides all Study Abroad students with their results on a Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR), which is a transcript of records.

The HEAR is available to students through an account initially accessed using their Warwick email address. The Warwick email address remains active for a period of 12 months after the end date of the placement. Students are able to change their access registration to a personal email account if they wish to extend their registration.

The University of Warwick issues a Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR) to all undergraduate students as the official record of their academic achievements. The HEAR is issued as an electronic document and also provides information about the programme of study and additional achievements undertaken whilst at university. It is hoped that the information provided on the HEAR will prove useful both to graduates entering the job market and to potential employers, as well as to current students as a formative document.

Further information about the HEAR is available at

Students will receive an email explaining about registration for their HEAR at the end of their official study period, when they will need to register their details with ‘GradIntel’ who provide the HEAR document electronically.

Please do be aware that not all module marks will be immediately available. The HEAR will be updated as the missing marks are finalised at the examination boards.

If you are concerned about attending lectures in English, Warwick has compiled a learning resource CD of lectures to help you improve your academic listening, note-taking and overall confidence. See the Ease website for further information.

For other nationalities information is provided about equivalences on the International Pages website.

It may be necessary to seek medical advice when the Health Centre, or your local GP practise is closed. Each GP practise will have an 'out of hours' emergency contact number. You can phone 111 for a 24 hour helpline which can offer medical advice for problems which you do not think require immediate discussion with the doctor. However for emergencies phone for an ambulance.

In an emergency on campus, 999 calls are routed via the University exchange so that Security staff can guide emergency vehicles to the correct location. Mobile phone users should ring the Main Gate (024 7652 2222). If a mobile phone is used to contact the emergency services directly, please ensure that University Security is alerted as soon as possible.

Pharmacists in the UK dispense medicines that your GP prescribes. You will have to pay for your prescription medicine. Please check with your local pharmacy. It is worth noting that antibiotics are not sold over the counter at pharmacies, you will have to see a doctor to get a prescription before obtaining these. If you have a minor condition, it is often quicker to seek advice from Pharmacy staff instead of seeing a GP. The nearest pharmacy to campus is Boots in Cannon Park.